1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

My first set of monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by Guitarfreak, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

omg, the day has come, when I get monitors :D

Well I did some searching on the internet and I came up with these as options. What do you think? I really have a tough time getting the low parts of a mix right because my speakers are the muddiest things I have ever heard. I would also like to get some more high treble clarity out of these as well. I have no want, need, nor use for a subwoofer. I am definitely going active, I don't want to add an amp into the mix, just another thing to worry about replacing down the line if you ask me. Budget is US $300-350 / pair

link removed

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rubicon5a/reviews/

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

Somebody suggested these along with a cheap sub...
    link removed

And of course...
    link removed

Feel free to suggest others as well.

Thanks
    -Jake

2. Shadow942

Shadow942 Guest

Finished Thread.

3. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

OMG tell me its not true!!! You are not really going to buy a set of monitors!!

Will the earth spin off its axis? Will the sun rise in the East?

No more chasing the ever elusive bass artifact that isn't really there. The world will be a better place.

There is only one way to choose monitors and that is side by side comparison in the a good room with music you are very familiar with. So make a CD of a bunch of different styled commercial music and a few of your own and listen, listen, listen. Narrow it down to two or three go home and come back again for a listen before buying.

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

The earth will spin off axis the day I get a job :lol:.

GF I'm glad to see you moving on.
    If you do go to listen to a bunch of monitors, I'd go early in the morning. My ears seem to be more sensitive in the morning, maybe yours are different though. Make sure to keep an open mind and don't go on colour or something.

You could say you want to shop for monitors like a woman shops for clothes. Try it all on (then pick the first thing you had, before seeing it cheaper elsewhere :twisted:)

5. Guitarfreak

Thanks guys, yeah I knew you'd say that jg haha. I am off work wednesday so that will be my designated GC day. From research and others' first hand experiences I have narrowed it down to the Mackie, the Rubicons, and the Alesis model. Actually the Alesis model looks very promising and I might end up getting those contingent upon the fact that they don't sound like asshole.

I am basing my opinions on others' experience with how well things translated to other sources from using different models, as well as going with trusted brands. The most important aspect I am looking for is frequency response, because the way I see it is that every monitor needs some getting used to, but if certain frequencies aren't being displayed, then you have %0 chance of learning the curve in those regions. At this price range I was impressed with the response of the Alesis monitors at 45Hz-22kHz. The only other one with that kind of high end definition that I looked at is the Rubicons, and those sag in the lows department with only a 57Hz rating.

However, the Rubicons pass the Alesis in HF response because they go to 27kHz, but the human ear can only hear up to around 18kHz without much strain, 20kHz goes after thirty or so years, and beyond that is for the dogs. So what's the deal, to me it seems like a 'this one goes to eleven' moment.

The Mackie is on my list mainly for brand recognition and stability, that sort of thing. The bass is what you'd expect at this price range only dipping down to 60Hz :\ and the highs stop at 20kHz. Pretty vanilla if you ask me, but a fallback model nonetheless.

OK enough blabbing? I am really looking forward to this Wednesday! BTW, do you guys have any info on the three models I will be testing, just so I can go into the place with as much knowledge possible?

6. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

In the FWIW category and not worth much more, I like the 624's better than the 824's.

You might as well listen to the Tannoy Reveal 6D's too if you are going to spend a day at it.

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Yeah. Listen to everything on the shelf including all the units you cannot afford. Take your own stuff you like to listen to and that you know really well.

The Rubicons are smooth in the highs and the bass is a little week, but not bad.
    Yamahas are all nice except the NS10's< YEAH I SAID THAT.....
    The Tapcos should really surprise you.

The Alesis and the Maudios arent very good.
    The KRK's are probably the best 5" lowend monitor there is.

DO NOT....i repeat DO NOT listen to the sales staff. Listen to your ears on your music you like. DO NOT tell them what you can spend. Spend all day listening to all the speakers...ALL THE SPEAKERS....big and small and inbetween.

8. Guitarfreak

Sweet info Dave (can I call ya Dave? or is it Mr. Dog?) I am just worried about what to do when I go. From what I can gather is the people in the recording department don't like me too much. The rest of the store likes me, we're on a first name basis as usual, but pro audio just doesn't like me.

I come in fairly frequently and try stuff, ask about stuff, A/B stuff but never buy. Now there's nothing wrong with that but I still feel self conscious. A lot of times during conversations with the sales staff in this particular department in the back of my head I know the salesman is giving me a line of total BS. Sometimes I dismiss it but sometimes I call him out on it. They love that $*^t.

Honestly I would just feel bad about asking the guy to set up a bunch of different monitors one set after the other, play a few songs through it and then swap it out for the next pair. When all is said and done just be like "well that was fun, thanks dude, cya" I honestly would feel much better about being able to do it myself. Like its the fact that I need to make the salesman my manservant for a good three hours then just leave. I'd much rather be in a room and set up and take down the monitors as I please and spend as much time without feeling like I am wasting the guy's time.

9. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I'd just add:

A) A store that is serious about selling studio monitors should have a decent sounding room and a switcher.

B) Listen all day at a reasonable volume with only brief high volume evaluations. After a couple hours your hearing will be somewhat fatigued. Come back the next day to listen to your top 3 or 4 choices, with fresh ears.

C) If you're a chronic 'lookie lou', you won't have any trouble getting the salesman to leave you alone (if they have a switcher you can operate)

Congrats & Good luck!

10. Guitarfreak

Guitar Center being serious about selling quality monitors? That's almost laughable. What am I looking for when I A/B these? I don't know what I should be looking for. I'm not sure what a good monitor set 'sounds' like. In my mind, as inverse as it would seem, I would want to go with the one that sounds worse. OK maybe not exactly, but whichever ones shows the flaws most clearly, is a better way to put it.

11. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Go back and read Prof Dawg's post. Take some CD's that YOU know real well. Then you listen for as much detail and clarity as the little monitors can muster. For instance, one of the five or six CD's I would take would be the first Boston album. Another would be the 2009 Vienna Phil New Years concert.

You need to take whatever YOU know to sound good and detailed.

12. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

One of the reasons for using commercially recorded music that you feel is well recorded is that there shouldn't be too many flaws. So whatever sounds best to you is what you are looking for. The reason for bringing in some tracks you have recorded (these should be raw tracks no compression, no EQ etc.) is they should sound a lot like what your rig does in the room. I have A/B'd speakers for hours at GC, on several ocassions, before buying a pair. If you want to make a friend in Pro Audio try and pick someone with experience to work with maybe the manager explain that you are new to this. Take your time, if you go back the next day make sure that they know you were working with salesperson X and make certain they get credited with the sale. Bite the bullet and buy the monitors there. They should price match whatever internet price you may have found. The only cost increase might be sales tax, but for 5% you can make a connection that might prove invaluable.

13. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

I think I said all this already? Sorry you don't think much of the KRK's? But speakers are like underwear. Otherwise ou might get your panties into a bunch.

I like Hanes
    Remy

14. Guitarfreak

Yeah, I wanted to get your personal opinion, but since you haven't been on much lately I thought I would ask the rest of the forum as well in case you didn't sign on for another month :)

15. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

stay away from mackie mr series. yuck. get dynaudio bm5a monitors or the new m-audio DSM monitors

16. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Another month? I might be away for a few days at a time since I am re-outfitting my remote truck. They usually don't go more than 2 days, sometimes three. All right so I want to take a vacation to the eastern shore. Then I shall be in the water.

Splishy splashy
    glub glub glub

17. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

i have had 3 of those monitors the rubies, the mackies and the krks. geez...even though they are cheap...i have to say my fav is the rubicons. depnds on your room/ear. however, the monitors that get the MOST use in my studio are the cheap pc speakers that i check EVERY mix through.

of course, once you get new monitors you are eventually going to start looking at room treatment, then better d/a conversion, then better a/d conversion etc... ad infitinitum

good luck and have fun and don't f&*king care about what the salesman is thinkickng. its his JOB to show you every set of monitors in the store if thats what you want. take all day if you want- its not goihng to change the fact that he should have gone to college

18. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

An old sound guy I used to work for would always bring in his digital master of "2001 A Space Odyssey" as his listening test.
    Me I used to like "Franenstein" by Edgar Winters or maybe a Supertramp song.....now I use "99.9F Degrees by Suzanne Vega.

19. Guitarfreak

Yeah, I too am beginning to like the idea of those Rubicons. The only thing holding me back is their sub-par bass response. The bass end is so important in the kind of music I am going to be doing that I feel it will handicap me in the long run. What do you think?

Remy, I will indeed try the KRK's tomorrow, in honor of you :)

20. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

First. I wouldnt call the Rubicons bass response "sub-par"...Its certainly not outstanding but its very usable especially if you arent used to ANY monitor. What they will do is this. The highs are so really good that your soundfield and imaging will be much much better and your panning will be something you can take to the bank for placement in the stereo field.

I almost bought a set for my third pair simply for the separation and the highs.