my new rig that i'm excited about and simply want to share

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by rockstardave, May 27, 2009.

1. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

ok ready? i've been planning it for a few months, saved up money, and i am going to purchase it all today:

FOH:
    xti4000 amp
    (2) Harbinger HX152 speakers (2x15" in each, 1200w each)
    (2) Yorkville LS700p powered subs (2x10" in each, 700w each)
    Mackie Onyx 1640 board w/Firewire

MONITORS:
    (2) XLS602d amps
    (4) Harbinger HX121m floor monitors (1x12" in each)

next summer i'll be buying the exact same FOH stuff again to double my output.

thanks for reading

2. LUO

LUO Guest

Cool!

3. thesinger8

thesinger8 Guest

so what

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

You signed up at RO just to say that, "thesinger8"? What scintillating and erudite commentary. Prithee continue to illuminate the unwashed masses with your pithy dialogues.

5. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Talk about hitting a guy in the vernacular...

6. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I always knew that ed-u-ma-cated Gyreens were the most dangerous...

7. rockstardave

oh - also i never got the XLS602d amps for monitors. instead i got a pair of XTI1000 amps

8. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Good choice. :cool:

9. stealthy

stealthy Guest

What do you think of the Harbingers? Been thinking about buying a powered pair for easy dj'ing events.

10. rockstardave

no no no!

powered harbingers are awful. the worst sounding powered speakers i've ever encountered ... even worse than the tapco's i saw last week!

harbinger passive boxes though... phenomenal! very crisp and clean! their floor monitor is unbeatable!

11. stealthy

stealthy Guest

damn. tapcos were the other ones i was looking at. really just need something decent with nice bass, at an affordable price. it'd be for dj'ing wedding receptions from time to time and whatnot :cry:

12. rockstardave

get the behringer b212a or b215a (for better bass response).

only a little bit more than harbingers, well worth it.

13. stealthy

stealthy Guest

Cool, thanks. The 12's would be nice for portability, but I'm not sure if they have enough steady and solid low end??

14. Davedog

It would be fun to watch that B(*&^^#!@)*er crap dissolve in a heap during a seriously loud and live show.....

15. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

"Dissolve"? How about "burst into spontaneous combustion"?
    Time and time again, the mantra is "Buy cheap, buy twice". Nothing with a stamped frame woof is going to deliver anything but grief when it comes to "serious low end". Those cheapass speakers don't hold up for crap, and they sound just as good as they taste...

16. Davedog

Yah.

And what a lot of folks dont want to admit, is it all is about budget.

I know, I know....we all dont have the bigger budgets of the real pros....what a lot of you fail to realize, is this....IF this stuff worked really really well, ALL the majors would use it. Makes sense doesnt it? None of them would spend a dime more than they had to to get that great sound, reliablity, portability, and all those pro words you see on a rider.

Thats why you'll NEVER see any words ending in '...ger...' on any professional rider from any touring company.

17. rockstardave

no no.

behringer usually scares the HELL out of me.

their cheap active speakers sound just as good as the mackies (or at least marginally close enough to make the 1/2 price ticket seem like a steal)

dont hate on other people's gear.

18. stealthy

stealthy Guest

Sorry to throw your thread off wack.....

But, just for the record, I never said anything about intention to use this as "pro" audio, or that I even was a pro. Not to mention I dont have "pro" money.

;)

19. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I'm afraid I would go with the Tapco any day over any Behringer gear. Given the choice between Tapco and Mackie I'd go with the Mackie. I hear enough of a difference in all three. I've done gigs with Behr gear and won't do it again.

If I ever go back to live sound however it will be with another PAS biamped rig.

20. Davedog

I've 'sat in' on a couple of PA gigs in recent months and both of them had a B**^%$#$#@!er mixer.

What crap. My bands little Yamaha MG series blows them away in every aspect of live sound as well as build quality and price! We have a 16 channel and its 4 years now with gigs totalling 45 a year on average. A lot of two nighters in that ... Not a bad moment. We use an 8 channel onstage for the drum sub-mix. Again, no issues and plenty of EQ to get the kick and snare out in rooms lacking those frequencies.

Price em. They are the best bargain in the business.