1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

My Newest Project... A Mic Baffle!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Guitarfreak, May 7, 2010.

  1. Guitarfreak

    Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

    My tracking room isn't really ideal for tracking loud guitars, so I was thinking of ways to reduce room influence. I absolutely hate the idea of putting heavy blankets over the cab and mic though because a. once you get your mic position perfect, the blanket might nudge it out of position b. if you need to move the mic it becomes a hassle and c. it probably affects the tone of the recording. Well I was wandering through my basement and found my old egg crate mattress cover that I used when I lived in a dorm, next I glanced over in the corner and spotted a plank of wood leaning up against the wall.... *stroke of genius* :rolleyes: :redface:

    This ensued!

    IMG_5001.jpg

    Oh noes, it's tan and pink... what to do?
    IMG_5003.jpg

    Spraypaint!
    IMG_5005.jpg

    Two coats later, much better!
    IMG_5009.jpg

    Attaching the legs
    IMG_5012.jpg

    Its alive... ITS ALIVE!
    IMG_5014.jpg
     
  2. dvdhawk

    dvdhawk Well-Known Member

    Your first gobo. Looks pretty good.

    A) So what size did it end up? [I know, whatever size the plywood happened to be.]
    Cinder block and paint can give me a rough idea of scale - but what are the actual dimensions?

    B) How does it sound?

    C) I hope that's latex based paint. Other paints will eat away at the foam.

    D) I hope you didn't paint it so thick it clogged the pores of the foam. The cells have to open to let air/sound in.

    E) I'm not sure why you didn't run the bottom bolt of the leg assembly through the wood as well. It would have prevented lateral movement better than friction alone.
     
  3. Guitarfreak

    Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

    It turned out to be 19 1/2" by 27 1/2" with the board about 3/4" and the foam about 2" from back to cone tips. I'm not sure yet how it sounds, haven't gotten a chance to try it, but my last final is tomorrow so once that is over I will be able to do some clips. The spraypaint I used is Enamel flat coat... so I hope that's not bad. I sprayed it so that it covered the cones and all the grooves, but I didn't lay it on thick or anything. I planned all along to have the middle holes in the right angle braces to connect through the wood so that I could have two bolts holding it in place and that the legs could also hold the piece above ground a little as well. At last minute I figured out that the corner brackets were the worst designed things I have ever seen. Point meaning that the center holes are off center and all of them to the same direction, so when you mirror them the holes don't line up. I sufficed to only have one hole because if they were going to wobble I wanted to be able to adjust them to counter the wobble rather than committing to holes and then being stuck to a wobble. On top of that the right angle braces weren't even right angles! I had to over tighten the floating bolts so that the metal bent to allow the feet to lay flat. Just poorly designed materials that I wish I had the foresight to see.
     

Share This Page