My Quiet Recordings

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by xX5thQuarterXx, Jan 6, 2008.

1. xX5thQuarterXx

xX5thQuarterXx Active Member

Hey guys.

Im not part of a pro studio or anything. Im just trying to get the best recording i can out of my home setup.

So this little irritation of mine is when i record and get a decent mix, but you play another studio qualiity song and the volume levels are way up its just really in your face compared to mine.

Can anyone point me in the right direction about how to fix this....i have a feeling its in the mastering process but i just dont see how i can get it lounder with out clipping.

thanks =)

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Yes, to a very large extent, it's part of the mastering process.

So if you go to a studio with a professional staff, track and mix there, then go to a professional mastering facility with a qualified engineer, you can be that loud too. Assuming the arrangements and core sounds allow it.

Making professional recordings doesn't happen by accident.

(Dead Link Removed)

3. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

of course he says that you have to have it mastered... he runs a mastering company

now, he's absolutely right. pro recordings dont just Happen. but the average hobbyist isnt willing to spend hundreds of dollars to be a little bit louder.

what can you do? you'll probably take some of the life out of your tracks, but you could use some compression.

4. Roidster

Roidster Guest

compression eq reverb

5. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Huh? reverb?

6. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Yeah...reverb...

Geez Mike - you don't know how to make your tracks louder with reverb??

Okay, this is how you do it:

Take your raw tracks and put it in an empty track in your DAW.

Patch the output of the DAW to an Aux Bus. We'll call this bus "Reverb" so as to avoid confusion...

On this reverb bus, put your favorite reverb plug in on and set it with the wet signal at 100% and the dry signal at 0%.

Now, here's the crucial part...Crank the gain on that bad boy up to 40 or 50 and keep your Aux faders at unity.

Now THAT's what I call a lush, full mix!!

7. Massive Mastering

I suppose that one deserves the "Yoinks!" award of the day...

8. xX5thQuarterXx

okay so im thinking im gonna have to sacrifice a little bit.

what exactly do they do at a mastering studio to get it loud?

9. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

I'm not a mastering engineer either. That's why all I will say is:
    {old-link-removed}

10. Massive Mastering

Whatever each individual mix requires - IF it can handle it. Although the tools and experience of the engineer are obviously important, most (how do I put this...) mixes done by "less seasoned" engineers will never attain those sorts of levels no matter who might be at the controls.

11. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

For the loud part, can't you just turn it up?

If you turn your mix up so that it's just as loud as the professional mix, is it ok then? If not, then the difference is in the mixing and mastering. Which takes practice.

Compression is some of it but not all of it. Clarity is some of it but not all of it. Separation and non-separation are some if it but not all of it. Recording technique is some of it but not all of it.

Where I'm going with this is it's not just one thing. Sure you could put a compressor on the mix bus and slam it all together. It'll be loud, and may be in your face but it will probably suck the life out of the music and sound like ass.

12. Roidster

Roidster Guest

what......you guys dont use a little bit of reverb on your drums :roll:

13. xX5thQuarterXx

lets say i wanted to get 1 track mastered. how much money would it cost? just curious as to what they charge?

and im thinking that mastering isn't something that i could just pick up in a few months and do it myself am i right?

14. niclaus

niclaus Active Member

Well, regarding the money question, it still depends on where you get the job done, and who's gonna do it.
    It could be from 100$ to 500$ per song...
    Check with the facilities near you...

15. Massive Mastering

Certainly. But don't you think that would be better applied during the mixing session instead of washing the whole mix in reverb? Not exactly what would be done during the mastering session (well, the occasional bad edit or cut tail perhaps, but it's pretty rare otherwise).
    I don't think I've ever done this twice in the same thread...
    (Dead Link Removed)

But let's make something perfectly clear again -- Mastering is NOT ABOUT MAKING EVERYTHING REALLY LOUD.

Just because it happens to be the stage where this happens to occur, it is NOT the goal. The goal is creating a compliant production master for replication that will translate to the widest possible array of playback options.

The "loud" part is an (unfortunate) afterthought.

As far as "learning it in a few months" -- I'll leave that to the horse.

16. xX5thQuarterXx

haha, thats what i figured. i was just curious. thanks guys

17. Perhaps a creative explanation would help.
    Music is filled with Dynamics, ups and downs. It is an aesthetic choice on what to do with dynamics in your mix. Do you want the quiet parts to have signifigance?
    The type of music also makes a difference. What is yours?
    A Guitar Center Pro audio associate told me he uses The Finalizer.
    Additionally, the Bit Depth is important here so record in 32 Bit Float.

Link for Finalizer, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Finalizer96/ with a $2,500 tag,
    though it is only 96khz so it may not be best for those who use 192khz and want to put the audio on a DVD.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Finalizer96/

18. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Dude - SERIOUSLY!

What is your deal? Everyone here slaps you around for your mis-statements and you just keep plugging away. Either you're a troll, or you're really mis-informed and obtuse!

First -
    The finalizer is a device which makes the vast majority of mastering engineers CRINGE. Not because of what it can do (actually, it's a relatively powerful box in the right hands) but because what it USUALLY does. That is to say, in most peoples' hands, the finalizer is guilty for ruining MANY a mix by squashing the hell out of it and draining it of all its life.

Then - the whole DVD with 192kHz audio thing. Please pay attention to the following:

192kHz DOES NOT BELONG ON DVD. THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO THIS IS STRICTLY FOR 2-CHANNEL DVD-A. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO DVD VIDEO OR ANY OTHER DVD FORMAT. ALSO, DVD-A REQUIRES A SPECIAL PLAYER TO PLAY BACK THE DATA STREAM AND IS A NICHE FORMAT AT BEST. YOUR MOM'S DVD PLAYER CAN'T PLAY DVD-A, NOR CAN MY MOM'S.

Now seriously, I don't care if the Tascam DVD-RA1000 can record in this format - it can also record in DSD. Are you proposing that everyone should/can work within this format as well?

19. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Filmmusic, again with the nonsensical posts...

Knock it off, bring something useful to the table, or leave.

Thanks!

20. Massive Mastering

There's so much more wrong with the statements... But it's almost for another thread... :lol: