1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Nanosynth ANOMALY

Discussion in 'Recording' started by cdp, Mar 20, 2001.

1. cdp

cdp Active Member

Hi there.

One of my studio toys is a Nanosynth, made by Alesis. Some time ago, while it was in action, someone pulled the power cord from it. No damage was done to the unit or the cord, but now it does not accept continuous controller commands for effects levels.

At one point, I tried using the unisyn editor that comes with the Nanosynth, and I found parameters for effects levels. However, this only works from within unisyn. Logic Audio, my app, is just not doing the job itself. BTW, it does this just fine with my other synths.

I’m not completely retarded here. I’ve been using Logic in one form or another for over 10 years (Atari days), and have a good grip on its environment window. Which means I put together some objects to test a bunch of controllers being sent to the Nano. It’s weird.

So, does anyone have any idea of what may be happening here? Is there some hardware reset function on the Nano? Some secret password I have to whisper at this thing for it to stop acting mutinous?

Any help is appreciated.

Take care,

Charles Di Pinto

2. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Hi Charles

This is just a guess but perhaps the factory default setting of the Nano is to NOT respond to continuous controllers. Another guess is that system-wide settings are stored in volatile memory which is flushed when the AC adapter is disconnected. My final guess is that Unisyn works because it is sending out SysEx rather than continuous controllers. Therefore, if you can find out a way to re-enable the Nano's controllers, you'll be in the house.

A quick google search yielded this link:

Reinitializing the Nano

Let us know how it turns out...

3. cdp

cdp Active Member

Originally posted by Nate Tschetter:
    Hi Charles

This is just a guess but perhaps the factory default setting of the Nano is to NOT respond to continuous controllers. Another guess is that system-wide settings are stored in volatile memory which is flushed when the AC adapter is disconnected. My final guess is that Unisyn works because it is sending out SysEx rather than continuous controllers. Therefore, if you can find out a way to re-enable the Nano's controllers, you'll be in the house.

A quick google search yielded this link:

Reinitializing the Nano

Let us know how it turns out...

I'd been racking my brains on this for some time. Every time I looked at the nano, I could hear it laughing at me.

Actually, the nano had been responding to cc without problems before the power cord accident. And other settings on the nano don't die when I turn it off. You're probably right about the SysEx thing, or else logic would be able to communicate as well.

That link! It saved me! I have no idea what google is, but you and it deserve medals. The nano has returned to it's old self, and all cc messages are being welcomed. Thank you for saving me with this!!!!!

Take care

Charles Di Pinto

4. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Hey Charles

Glad it worked out. Google is an internet search engine that (for me) actually turns out decent results. They also recently acquired the deja.com archives. What they chose to do with them remains to be seen.

I take it Porto Alegre is quite nice this time of year. I'll always remember it because of the announcement voice at the Rio de Janeiro airport. Sitting there for three hours waiting to get a connection and listening to this bizarre sounding voice announce flight times in English and Portuguese was the only thing keeping me awake after a 12 hour flight. The "Porto Alegre" announcement was the funniest.

ah...Brazil...

5. cdp

cdp Active Member

Originally posted by Nate Tschetter:

I take it Porto Alegre is quite nice this time of year. I'll always remember it because of the announcement voice at the Rio de Janeiro airport. Sitting there for three hours waiting to get a connection and listening to this bizarre sounding voice announce flight times in English and Portuguese was the only thing keeping me awake after a 12 hour flight. The "Porto Alegre" announcement was the funniest.

ah...Brazil...

"Tourism in Brazil"

Yes, Porto Alegre, which has summer weather approaching what you get in Philly (my hometown), is cooling down. Happy Port (the translation), is actually very European, with tons of Italian and German immigrants everywhere. And the women... beats Rio or Sao Paulo. :)

Charles Di Pinto