1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Near-field Monitor help

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by DocRoc, Sep 6, 2007.

1. DocRoc

DocRoc Guest

Anyone tried the Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 monitors? I've seen lots of great reviews, but haven't seen much pro forum discussions on them. I like the option of being able to upgrade to 5.1 for another $500. I like mixing on transparent, "brutal truth", near-fields such as the NS10's, but the NS10's are now SO expensive ($1000), I'm not sure if the cost is justified anymore.

Ross McAfee
    Noise Gate Audio, LLC.
  2. Ranson

Ranson Guest

Blue Sky is aiming at a few different audiences with their monitors, Media desk, as you may know is the starting point.
    I have this setup in my "programming suite" and i can tell you this. At low to moderate levels SPL, its a well balanced honest system, and a sure buy..
    But if you pass 89dB SPL, you are lost in the hifi space again, The sub will keep up, but the small mids dont..THIS IS ONLY MY OPININON! and i might be proven wrong, but if you want to be able to do some -low level - high level comparisons- i suggest you go with Pro-desk or the Sky system.
    /Thomas - Hitfarm recording
  3. cathode_ray

cathode_ray Active Member

May 3, 2007
    West Palm Beach
  4. DocRoc

DocRoc Guest

Yeah, I meant transparent as no coloration / no sweetening / brutal truth.

Ranson, I appreciate the feedback. I'll be using these mostly in my home studio setup for mix down only. And my home is actually an apartment, so noise levels will have to very rarely pass 89 dB. So maybe this should be the option for me???
  5. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

Jan 13, 2003
    NS10s were designed to mimick the average home stereo system, and are definitely NOT truthful or accurate.

Blue Sky systems seem to be clean and accurate. I have the Sky System One (2.1) and think very highly of it. Best monitor system I've heard for the money.