Nearfield Monitors for mixing Heavy Metal.

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by Potex, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Potex

Potex Guest

I'm in the market for some new monitors for my home studio. I'm looking for quality, nearfield - powered monitors. They will primarily be used for mixing Heavy Metal. So I need them to be tight in the low end with plenty of thump and clarity. I don't want something too bright as they're far too fatiguing for this genre.

I'm want to get my mixes sounding similar to Lamb Of God - Ashes Of the wake. Everything seems to sound paired back and sits tight in the mix.

I'm looking at:
    ADAM P22a
    Dynaudio BM6A
    Mackie HR-824

Some advice would be great!
    Cheers
    -Ben

2. mildav

mildav Guest

krk v6- v8

3. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

If you can afford the Adam monitors go for those. I think the Event asp6's and asp8's would be a good choice also. The dynaudio's seem to be a more and more popular choice these days. I don't think the mackies are in the same league as the other monitors you chose.

4. sushifish

sushifish Guest

I've done a few punk project on some genelecs. I enjoy them. Very true to distorted guitars. Maybe try out the 6 or 8's if your budget permits.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I do a lot of metal projects power metal like Sevendust. I use the Dynaudio BM6A I also use NS10's and Tannoy DMT 12's. I like the dyns but they are not the loudest speaker out ther. But they are really nice in the mids and highs. Work well with distorted guitars.

6. frob

frob Well-Known Member

i have to say that you cant go wronge with a pair of yamaha msp5s

7. Potex

Potex Guest

Thanks for your input guys I appreciate it!

Could you also please give some mic recommendations (dynamic and condensor) that are best suited to heavily distorted guitar.

At the moment i'm looking at:

sm57
    md421
    akg414

Cheers
    -Ben

8. anonymous

anonymous Guests

For most rock and metal I reach for the SM57, 421 Senn e609 and the Royer 121. All 4 on a 4x12 cab and you have a nice pallet to work from.

9. sushifish

sushifish Guest

I still love the sennheiser e609 (silver) over a sm57 on distortion applications. I believe it's brighter with more Uuummfff. I've only used them on rectifiers and marshalls though. good luck!

10. aphid

aphid Guest

audix i5 blows any 609 or 57 out of the water on guitar cabs. seriously....

11. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

In your opinion, I happen to think its the worst of the three.

12. Potex

Potex Guest

Excuse my ignorance but isn't the Royer 121 a ribbon mic?

Wouldnt a ribbon mic be in extreme dange of being destroyed by the high spl of a metal guitar rig in full flight?

Cheers
    -Ben

13. tumbledown

tumbledown Guest

I record and mix quite a bit of heavier stuff (production styles like Tool and Alice in Chains, along with a lot of other styles) and I absolutely love my BM6a's. Excellent translation to other systems. I haven't heard the others so I won't compare, but I doubt you would look back after picking up a pair of BM6a's. My 2 cents.