1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need a cassette deck

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by newyorkmusician, Apr 24, 2003.

1. I need to mix down to cassette. Can anyone recommend a stand-alone or rackmount stereo cassette deck? I've had good results with a friend's Sony TC-D5M but I wonder if there isn't anything less expensive. I tried a simple ghetto blaster with Aux Ins and the results were disasterous. Thanks for your help.

2. lowdbrent

lowdbrent Guest

Why not get a CD burner. Less money, sounds better, easier to handle. There are few good quality cassette decks now, compared to the day when cassette was a living format.

If you can find a used Nakamichi or Tandberg, you would have a good deck. If you are going to buy new, a Sony ES would be a wise choice. ES series has a 6 year near-no-fault warranty on them. I put those in churches all the time.

The only companies making pro cassette decks anymore are Tascam (Teac), and Denon/Marantz.

3. lowdbrent

lowdbrent Guest

Why not get a CD burner. Less money, sounds better, easier to handle. There are few good quality cassette decks now, compared to the day when cassette was a living format.

If you can find a used Nakamichi or Tandberg, you would have a good deck. If you are going to buy new, a Sony ES would be a wise choice. ES series has a 6 year near-no-fault warranty on them. I put those in churches all the time.

The only companies making pro cassette decks anymore are Tascam (Teac), and Denon/Marantz.

4. Dan M.

Dan M. Guest

The tascam 102 and 122 really surprised me. Blew away my notions of crap cassette sound from previous low end recorders. If you need a great sounding cassette, Tascam all the way.

Dan

5. StevenGurg

StevenGurg Guest

I have three Tascam 122MKIII's and they have been flawless performers for my cassette work. I agree with previous posters about Tascam recommendation. (I can part with one of mine if interested)

6. Don Grossinger

Don Grossinger Distinguished past mastering moderator Active Member

7. Don Grossinger

Don Grossinger Distinguished past mastering moderator Active Member

Tascam 122 Mk III is indeed good.
    I would also look for a Tandberg. I forgot the model number (TCD-340??), but it is the flat, horizontal, top load model with 3 heads. They did not have the head gap mismatch of Nakamichi & made great recordings that are compatible on all other decks.

As for less expensive, I would suggest contacting Dreamhire or The Toy Store & renting one for a day or check Analogique or one of the high end stereo shops for something used (with a warrantee).

8. sapplegate

sapplegate Active Member

I have and still use on occasion an AIWA F660 which I purchased new about 15 years ago. These are consumer hi-fi decks, but if you can find a used one, they're great. Other models with even more features are the F770 and F990. Very nice. F990's on eBay going for about $175. An F770 just went for $65.