1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

need a good headphone amplifier

Discussion in 'Recording' started by stuckinamerica, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I'm using a firepod and the output when blended with pre's is not enough for a drummer to use very well. plus I'd like to start rehearsing with headphones. What headphone amp under $200 (ebay or used) is cleanest and loudest? Also any recommendations on some quality but inexpensive headphones?

2. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    My 2 cheap favorites are (both 4 output amps) the Carvin model, and (and let the flames begin) the B*hringer unit. The B*hringer is the one item by them that hasn't crashed out on anyone I know. It's not the pinnacle of audio fidelity by any means, but at that price nothing will be.
  3. Reggie

Reggie Distinguished Member

Dec 20, 2004
    If you like building stuff, PIAI sells a 6-channel headphone amp in kit form. like 85 bucks and a pain in the butt. But a good learning experience and pretty decent loudness and quality. Better than other phone amps I have used.
  4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    I use small power amps when I want the headroom at higher levels ... drummers particulaly

other wise limiting before the HP amp is a must for non mastered program and the basic 15 volt amps like the Behringer and Alto

check the Rane tech notes for good infomation about this
  5. Grooveteer

Grooveteer Guest

Thanks Kev. Also on behalf of my eardrums.

I'm a drummer and believe me, having your kit in your cans at full throttle IS NOT NICE! Not in the long run.
  6. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    sorry but I've been doing this a while and a clipped, small amp will do more damage
    use the small power amp at the same RMS level as the B units but with much more headroom for uncompressed peaks

it's all about headroom
    ... as simple as that

signal level and Headphone efficiencey ... please read the Rane tech notes

speakers or headphones ... the problems are the same

many cheap amps use opamps as the driver stages which is fine for high impeadance HP's ... low imps will cause over current in the opamp ... more distotions and current limiting in the opamp
  7. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I remember that Rane "Clipping" article. A good read!

8. Grooveteer

Grooveteer Guest

What I meant to say is that there's nothing worse than a drumkit through a cheap amp (like the Behringer HP I have) at a high volume. Your ears will thank you for using a limiter. Haven't tried using a power amp, though.

All the best.
  9. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001

I too have the B amp and it does work but on these more demanding situations, if falls below par