1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need Advice! Analog or Digital

Discussion in 'Recording' started by TomF, May 3, 2005.

1. TomF

TomF Guest

Hello !

I need some advice as to which direction to go. I’m trying to decide between an analog or digital console . The two consoles that I've been considering are, the SoundCraft Ghost 32 and the Yamaha 02R96V2. I did a search and found some info on the Ghost , but nothing on the Yamaha. I'm an old school analog guy , so I was leaning more towards the Ghost ( No Learning curve),the Yamaha I guess will be another story.I’m looking to track to a hard disk recorder , Edit in a (DAW) and either mix in the DAW or mix through the console. Any suggestion/info would be appreciated to help me make a decision.

Thanks
    TomF

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that a Ghost (especially a mildly hot-rodded Ghost) will be quite flexible and have more character...

But the Yammie is certainly flexible in a workflow sense...

The Ghost won't be obsolete any time soon...

The Yammie might...

Yeah, I'd go with the Ghost. Then when possible, go to http://www.CreationAudioLabs.com and have the master section and a half dozen preamps upgraded.

3. axel

axel Guest

i like the digital domain a lot, but when it comes to desks i would go analog, to me they have more character too, digi mixers might be convinient, recall and the like, but sonically to me they all lack on a certain warmth and character and the ghost is a fine desk...
    also you have a "two way possibility" you can either mix digital within your DAW or analog, to your like or the needs... that give you in my eyes more flexibility... :D

4. TomF

TomF Guest

Thanks for the replies !

Any other suggestion/info to help me make a decision would be appreciated . Does anyone have any input on the Yamaha?

Thanks Again
    TomF