1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need Advice on buying a mixer.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by uzair_rock, Apr 7, 2009.

1. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

Hi everyone, well im looking to buy a mixer in a day or two. My range is upto $200. There are two options to me
    1- yamaha mw10c
    2- behringer 1204 fx mixer

Im in doubt that the yamaha one has any fx effects like reverb or echo, etc. So guys which one would you suggest me to buy from the above two or if there is other model or brand with in the same range, tell me about that as well. Just remember any other model/brand should have fx effects.

Im waiting for your replies.

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Neither one of these units could be considered 'pro audio' so I'll move this to the budget area.

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

FX in a unit this cheap are not going to sound good. They are going to sound....well.....cheap.

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of this mixer?
    What do you want to do with it? You can't choose a car without at least thinking about the number of tyres you want.

5. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

Well i record my own song at my home on karaoke tracks, apart from that i need a mixer because i perform live at my family functions. This is why i need it.

6. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

Also please tell me which one is the best out of the above two mixers, i.e.

Yamaha MW10C and Behringer Xenyx 1204fx mixer.

I know as you said both are only for beginners but which one should i choose if i had to make a choice?

7. BRH

BRH Active Member

yamaha

8. Codemonkey

Yamaha, also.

Behringer steal their designs (and have had legal action against them) from other more reputable companies.
    They churn out substandard quality junk which is built to last about a week, and is plagued with interference and white noise.

9. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

Thanks guys for helping me out, but does the yamaha one has effects in it, like reverb, chorus, etc...

10. Codemonkey

No it doesn't.

The ones in the Behringer (and in any budget mixer) will sound awful.

Do you desperately need them?

This from Tapco has roughly the same features as the Yamaha but comes with effects and is only slightly more expensive on the site I'm looking at.

How many inputs are you after? How many mics and what other gear (such as CD players/tape decks/turntables) do you want to connect?

Knowing that, we can suggest other mixers that you might love and that aren't made of plastic.

11. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

@CodeMonkey

I loved the Tapco one i.e. Tapco Mix 260FX , ya it is slightly more expensive than the Yamaha one, i will look if i can arrange the extra money, but does the effects in it sounds better than the others within the same range. Because it looks quite a heavy one and also looks beautiful.

My requirement is that I record my vocals with the karaoke tracks at home, and i also perform live on the karaoke tracks in family gatherings. So that is why i need the effect in it.
    Maximum i would need to connect two Mic inputs.

12. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

But hey guys what about This one:
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/17442-tapco-mix-220fx.html

Tapco Mix 220fx , it also has the effects, will you suggest it to me, i mean is this one good enough for beginners and home users?

13. Codemonkey

So long as it has 2 mic inputs, onboard effects, and isn't made by Behringer, then it fits your bill and doesn't support a bunch of thieves.

Odds are the effects won't sound fantastic but they will probably be acceptable.

If you're after quality effects units then you'd want a mixer with inserts, and outboard gear (such as Lexicon reverbs). However this is probably a lot of money at the moment. (Lexicons make awesome reverb but cost at least as much as that mixer).

To confuse things, this Alesis MultiMix has 2 mic inputs, onboard effects and costs half as much as that Tapco one.

14. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

I have been searching about different mixers over the internet, and I came to know that the Tapco Mix 260fx Mixer is a non-powered mixer, which means i need to connect a Power Amplifier with it.

Now i have a question here and that, I do have a Pioneer Amplifier at Home, which i have connected to my DVD Player and through which I have connected 4 speakers (2F, 2R)

Now can I use this Amp, with the Tapco mix 260fx mixer?

If yes then while i was looking for other mixer as well I found the Mackie DFX12 Mixer, which has the built in effects as well and also is a non-powered mixer. The Specifications of Mackie DFX12 is:
    http://www.mackie.com/products/dfx12/

Im sure the Mackie one is better than the Tapco one.

Guys please answer all my questions and also guide me in the most effective manner.

Thanx.

15. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

Some detail on the Amplifier im talking about:

It says it is Integrated Stereo Amplifier, Out Power is 250W and It is 4 Amp system.

16. Codemonkey

"Im sure the Mackie one is better than the Tapco one."
    That's very probably true.

Your home stereo amp will probably not be up to the task of live sound. Unless you're always in livingrooms and not in clubs etc.

Quality amps will cost a fair bit, though.

Did we mention that live sound is expensive?

17. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

I know the live sound can be expensive, but if the speakers im connecting are not that use or not of very high power, the home amp amp can be connected to it, or I can connect two amps to it...???

18. Codemonkey

"or I can connect two amps to it...???"
    If you want to set things on fire, be my guest.

If you want to cart hi-fi speakers around with their amp then that'll work, but for anything bigger than a large livingroom you're going to want more oomph.

Most PA stacks aren't repurposed radios.

19. uzair_rock

uzair_rock Guest

I get it what you said.

I have a 700Watt Solid Audio 4 Channel Power Amp, will that be good enough to be connected to a Mixer.

20. Codemonkey

Assuming you have the speakers to match, then that's plenty.
    If it's 700W total it probably equates to about 160W per channel but it depends a lot on how it's hooked up.
    So long as it works and isn't being pushed to the max, that'll do.