1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need advice on Good PCI Sound Card

Discussion in 'Recording' started by eradio, Jan 30, 2008.

1. eradio

eradio Guest

I am preparing to build a new PC. I do a lot of voice over work. I have a mic and Preamp that is state of the art, but my PC's audio input is ehhh..
    I have a Sound Blaster Audigy with the front mounted interface, but the audio input quality is less then what I would like.
    I am looking for the right sound card that will handle a balanced XLR input and I dont need 10 inputs...One would be fine..two's ok.
    Everything I have seen to date seems to be external with pre amps and lots of things I dont need. I am happy with my mic and pre amp setup and really dont want to add another device that may cause degradation in my sound.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

3. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Price range?

4. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

If you can live with unbalanced RCA inputs and RCA outputs I highly recommend the EDIROL UA1EX, 24-bit/96kHz capable for around $80 US. It's strictly line level input and output. You can unbalance the output of your preamp which will not degrade the sound quality, provided you have no ground loops. It has a direct monitor feature for zero latency with an actual hardware level control and optical digital inputs and outputs. It will do you fine. Need balanced? Purchase some decent transformers.

Happy owner
    Ms. Remy Ann David

5. eradio

eradio Guest

I see alot of these suggestions are stand alone unit? I would prefer something I could install into my PC.

6. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I don't know of too many PCI soundcards that accept XLR. However, the Echo Mia is a straight 2 in 2 out that accepts TRS (which would be a simple adapter cable) and SPDIF.

I have an original Mia that I've had for probably 10 years and I love the thing. It sounds great and has never even had so much as a glitch. I can't recommend them highly enough!

http://

The card is now known as the MiaMidi.