1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need allround condenser mic?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by stuckinamerica, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Okay first off heres what I've got

Presonus Firepod
    Cubase SX2
    Beta 52
    (2) SM57
    couple of $100 Sennheiser Dynamic live Mics
    couple of $100 EV dynamic live mics
    Peavey Diamond Series live vocal mic
    some 58 knock offs
    Nady 3 piece drum mic kit (tom mics work but kick is junk(as you all knew)

I need a good condenser mic for overheads and vocals. Would like something more than a one trick horse. My vocal style is pop rock but I have a deeper voice and not a nasal singer. My bands sound is close to sugarcult or marvelous three (butch walker). Heres an mp3 of just some stuff I've done with 2 live sm57's in each corner. Vocs coming from cheap monitors and a phonic board. Nothing else is mic'd just the sound of the garage to a cheap cassette tape recorder. (before my firepod just to show room dynamics also theres no bassist at that time.)

Basically I understand that gear has little to do with final sound as much as performance. What was Aerosmith's Dream On recorded on? or Zeppelin? just a point.

I'm looking at MXL 990. Am I right in thinking I need a matching pair for overheads? Any recommendations? Feel free to "learn me something new" cause I'm all noob. :wink:

Justin Berry