Need fast help with mixing Problems......

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by matthis, Apr 20, 2004.

1. matthis

matthis Guest

Hello,
    i started mixing a demo project with Cool Edit 2 yesterday, but here are a few general questions:

how would you pan: 2 drum Overheads, 1 Bass drum, 2 Guitars, 1 Bass-Guitar, 1 Lead vocals, 1 Backing Vocals

And how is it about mixing, does the ready mix have to go to 0db???
    Or should i go to about -5db, and get the rest of loudness trough mastering???

Many thanks,

matthis

2. noit

noit Guest

Your first question is too subjective. The best answer is, put them where you like. Every nuance of you mix, such as panning, should be expresive of composition goal.

-5db is good. between -5bd and -3db, and keep your bit rate up. 24bit or 32bit. if you are recording in only 16bit you might want to consider closer to 0.

3. TanTan

TanTan Distinguished Member

Drum Overheads :
    Try to place them hard left and right , and then step by step try to get them simmetricaly closer to the center ,then look for that sweet spot your ears likes ...

Bass drum :
    Start with placing it in the center to share the bass load on both channels

Guitars :
    No rules at all dude

Bass-Guitar:
    Center

Lead vocals :
    Center

Backing Vocals :
    Depends on how many backing vox you have there , try to imagine the whole backing vox singers on a stage or even draw a picture of it , with the lead vocalist in the center and create this image by taking some vox to the left and some to the right or center

4. cruisemates

cruisemates Active Member

I would go hard L & R with the drum overheads. Bass guitar & bass drum center. 2 guitars L and R (either full or partially, depending an what sounds better). Lead vocal center. B/U vocal, either center, or I might consider using a digital delay set at something like 10 ms and pan the original full L and the delay full R.

Experiment. Try using the delay on one of the guitars also to split L & R , and hten put the other one center.

"And how is it about mixing, does the ready mix have to go to 0db???
    Or should i go to about -5db, and get the rest of loudness trough mastering??? "

Usually you get the mix up to 0 dB. You should get it sounding as close to the final master as you can. However, it doesn't make a big difference in this digital age - in mastering you have plenty of flexibility.