Need Fresh Ears - New links

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by sharmon, Feb 23, 2004.

1. sharmon

sharmon Guest

Hi, i have recorded and mixed this rock band. Am not totally happy with the mix but need a new perspective. I have spent a lot of time on the mix and would really appreciate a fresh opinion.
    Please click on the link and have a listen if you have the time. All feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks. :) Full Song - 2.9MB
    Sample - 1.6MB

[ March 02, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: sharmon ]
  2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Distinguished Member

Sep 12, 2002
    NYC New York
    Home Page:
    says you exceed your max data transfer. try back in an hour.
  3. Mundox

Mundox Guest

I am not a big fan of drum machines in Rock, so I can not say I liked the way it sounded to me. With the exception of the drums everything sounds fine. If I were you I'd try the burry the drums a little and just get the attack from them.Make the guitars, and bass speak more, since they are played by humans. If I have to use drum machines, I always smash the hell out of it with a cheapo compressor to get some character into them.
  4. Mundox

Mundox Guest

I just noticed you are from India? Check these guys out:
    Download some tunes, they are a band from NYC, two Indian/American brothers (singer and gtr) and two American guys. They rock!
  5. sharmon

sharmon Guest

Hey Mundox, thanks for the feedback, will try to incorporate your advice. However, the drums were recorded live entirely, human drummer an' all :) , the snare was triggered though, post recording.
  6. Mundox

Mundox Guest

My bad, well the drummer's fills sounded like stock drum machine rolls for some reason :D . Did you trigger everything or just the snare drum? Sorry if this is getting OT in Mastering forum.
  7. sharmon

sharmon Guest

Just the snare was triggered... Are the drums sounding too thin then?
  8. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Guest

Interesting have we gotten the recording forum over here?
    What does this has to do with mastering?
  9. sharmon

sharmon Guest

Hi Henrik Ammitsboel,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, i was thinking it would be nice to get a point of view from a mastering engineer to see what could be lacking in the mix...
  10. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2003
    One thing that hit me is that the guitars aren't really utilizing the stereo field much. You could try recording two takes of the rhythm guitars and hard panning and see how that works out. That would also allow you to drop the volume of the drums somewhat and still let them be heard, since they aren't fighting for the same little space.
  11. didzejzefir

didzejzefir Guest

Hi, what did you use for vocals ? pre and mic ..
  12. sharmon

sharmon Guest

a tiny behringer mixer and shure ksm 27
  13. bender_2112

bender_2112 Guest

I would have to agree with falkon2. The guitars are just kind of sitting there. It doesn't sound to me like the feel of the song is represented in the mix. There are some good dynamics in the song that could be taken advantage of. I would also say that the bass is lost. I had a hard time picking out the bass until a bit into the song.

For the guitars, the "tapping" intro and fills could make better use of the stereo field. The verse parts for the guitar where it's being played sticatto (sp), could sound more interesting if each note is panned interestingly.

Just some thoughts and my $.02.