1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

need help choosing hard drive and firewire card

Discussion in 'Converters & Interfaces' started by chris647323, Aug 14, 2011.

1. chris647323

chris647323 Guest

Hey Guys,

So I am new to recording and have a few questions. I recently purchased a Saffire Pro 40 Firewire interface.

My friend is lending me his computer to record, but it needs an internal hard drive and PCI firewire card. I also need an external hard drive for storage.

So lay it on me: what is important in selecting each of these?

For internal hard drive, obviously size and I am getting a SATA but is the cache or latency incredibly important? What is the minimum and optimum I'll need for each stat? I was looking at a 500 GB 6.0 Gb/s 32MB cache with 4 ms latency from Western Digital.

As far as firewire cards, I am getting IEEE1394A and I know what chipset I likely want (one recommended for my interface), but what else is important?
    Also, I noticed the number of pins on each of these cards varies. Are they all compatible with PCI and is PCIe compatible with PCI?

As far as external hard drives, I was thinking just USB 2.0, as I do not want the interface and hard drive sharing the same bus.

When it comes to drives in general, should I go 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM? 7200 can write faster but its more prone to crashing. If 5400 makes the cut for recording, I am thinking about doing that.

If someone could give me some input on my babblings, that would be great.