1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need help finding a transparent compressor

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by YOUNGMOE, Sep 7, 2004.

YOUNGMOE Guest

i'm loking for a compressor,mainly for vocals and i'll probably be going straight in with the compression
    i'm looking for something audible, if anyone would know something suitable for blues and hip hop vocals, that would be a plus

i get pretty friggin good quality, but the lack of a compressor, has me going nuts...
    i've heard good things about the tla-50 from summit, but wondering if it's warm sound would be a little bit over kill with my rode ntk summit audio 2ba-221(i've recorded my vocals on neve's, focusrite isa's etc, and it stacks well against those for what i do, but i still plan to get another neve 1272 for certain songs) enough rambling...any suggestions would help greatly

2. pjamal

pjamal Guest

rnc or dbx 160xt will do it for hip hop .or get the avalon 737 sp the most used hip hop mic pre comp eq.
  3. wavdoctor

wavdoctor Guest

RNC 1170, best compressor around for the price, last I looked around $200. bucks.

YOUNGMOE Guest

not a fan of the dbx, believe it or not, hip hop artists care about good recording jobs...
    the avalon is not my cup of tea either...
  5. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    Transparant is not something any compressor really does well but the best ones that fit this criteria I can think of right now are the Crane Song STC-8 and Tracker.
  6. mcguin

mcguin Guest

hi all
    the com. on the Millennia Origin can be very "nice"
    great pre too!

7. Fruition2k

Fruition2k Active Member

Jan 1, 2001
    South Florida
    Most common affordable and transparent compressor that out there possibley the Aphex compellor. http://www.aphex.com/320A.htm
    Its incredibily transparent and easy to find.
    If you have the extra cash, the Crane Song Traker is tops for a single channel compressor .
    I will say the NTP 179/120's are the ultimate compressors for transparancy I've ever used, mainly used for mastering now days hard to find but worth the search.
    Good luck on your search..