1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need HELP On Equipment Advice

Discussion in 'Recording' started by acousticman, Jan 29, 2005.

1. acousticman

acousticman Guest

Hello People... I am an acoustic guitarist who mostly does solo albums, but sometimes I do add orchestra type sounds to the mix. Usually I record in 2 to 3 tracks only. Coming from an 8 track digital recorder and found it a little limiting as far as the tracks are concerned. I'd like to move into the DAW computer realm. I do like the idea of some type of contol surface, but a mouse based system is not out of the question. I'd like to spend around $2000 or so. Here is what I own and would like to keep becuase it works for me.

Presonus MP20 2 channel preamp,
    Matched pair of Rhode NT 5 mics
    Event Project Studio 6 Powered Monitors
    AKG K240 headphones
    Yamaha synth
    Pentium 4 1.8 processor with 1 Gig of Ram

Some of the units I am considering are:

Tascam 1884 control surface
    Motu 1896HD
    Presonus Firepod
    Mackie Universal Control

Facts I think I know:
    I've heard that the Motu system works better with a Mac.
    The FW 1884 works ok with a PC
    With my present computer, I really don't have a lot of computing power, but was told I could get away with it with my present setup for my intended use.
    I will get another external drive to run the audio side of things -
    looking at the glyph.

I am looking to get the most pro sound I can and the most problem free set up without latency problems, booting problems, etc. I am a musician first - not a producer. Based on the facts above, I really need to know a complete and user friendly set up to get me on my way with recommended software. I am not opposed to going the Apple route versus PC either. Probably could pick up a reconditioned G4 pretty cheap. Any and all help and comments would be greatly appreciated.
  2. DaveRunyan

DaveRunyan Active Member

Dec 13, 2004
    I am using a motu 24 I/O on a PC and it rocks. No problems at all. I use the Cue Mix monitoring software that came with it and as long as I shut off the plug in effects when I overdub the latency is no problem.

I would imagine your computer would work just fine for the amount of tracks you are talking about.

I do know there are far better converters out there than the motu stuff but I personally like the sound I am getting and for the money I really like it.

As far as the hard drive is concerned I would add another internal one instead of an external for your sound. I don't know if an external one would keep up with it. I use an external for backing up my projects and storage though.

I have gotten used to not using a control surface just fine. In fact I don't miss actual faders at all. I find myself thinking things through a little more when I don't have my hands on faders. If I blow an automation then I can just grab the points with the mouse and put them where they belong. Kind of cool.

Good luck with the project.
  3. inLoco

inLoco Active Member

Jul 25, 2004
    i have a motu 828 mkII (by the way its 896 hd and not 1896 hd) and it works fine with my pc!
    is your pc a laptop centrino or a deskcomputer? if it's a desk i'd recommend a new one (mac's are great but are way of budget for you and there are a lot of cons too...)
    if you only record 2/3 tracks at a time why all those pres?
    go for something like the motu 828 mkII which has 2 pres! cause you already have other 2 makes you 4!
    don't know if the motu traveler has a price already but it seems great too! and it would give you 6 pres (4+2)
    regarding a control surface trust me that it's useless if you work with some little tracks! i've been doing recordings for years and mixing 20 to 40 tracks with a mouse and only now i bought a behringer ddx3216 digital mixer! i use it as a midi desk when mixing! i bought it cause i need to record live gigs and so on...
    for those 2000 i'd go with 1000 for a pc, 750 for the motu and look at a cool mic! if you can stretch out a bit take a look at the rode ntk and the akg c 414 tlII (old one still on sale for example on 8thstreetmusic.com)
    if you don't have need for a computer spend the money on a very good pre-amp like the sebatron and a bit of acoustic treatment!
  4. acousticman

acousticman Guest

To clarify: My computer is a dell desktop with a fixed audio/video card on the motherboard which can't be changed. I know the Tascam 1884 has a lot of preamps that I would bypass anyway but it looks like a lot for the money. Down side about the tascam is if I wanted to upgrade later I would have to sell everything in one unit. If I went with separate units I could update them one at a time. But really ease of use and best sound I could get for my money is my main interest.
  5. inLoco

inLoco Active Member

Jul 25, 2004
    so my suggestion is the following:
    - new pc (around 3.2 with 1g ram)
    - motu 828 mkII or motu traveler
    - rode ntk or akg c414 tlII

if you still had money the sebatron pre-amp
  6. acousticman

acousticman Guest

Thanks guys :cool: Would anybody else like to give me there recommendations. Please :)
  7. jwgeetar

jwgeetar Guest

hi, i looked at the motu 828 mkII. if i got one of these, would it replace my audiophile 24/96 card in my computer? just wondering and looking for a better solution to my 1 and 2 track at a time recording. [sorry bout the nobb-ness] thanks--jw
  8. IainDearg

IainDearg Guest

As inLoco said, a good PC / soundcard combination is essential, even more so for audio (acoustic) recording.