1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need help recording to computer with multiple microphones

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Unregistered, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So me and my friends want to start a podcast, so I'm looking into what we will need. I have a basic audio editing software and we'll be getting 4 microphones, but I was having a little trouble finding exactly what I need to record all of us directly to my PC. (or possibly my friend's mac) I've tried looking up this topic, but most of it is a bit hard to understand out of context, and I'm not entirely sure applies to what I'm trying to do.

So I would just like to know what I need to record at least 4 mics to a PC or mac, and a suggestion for a product keeping in mind I don't have a huge budget. (Like nothing more than $200)
  2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Probably the best solution is a mixer/interface. The right one would combine a mixer with enough inputs for your microphones with a USB interface to your computer. It's probably over your budget. You could get a used mixer and connect it to your computer sound card line input, if it has one. Laptops usually don't but desktop usually do. Using a stock sound card is considered less than optimal, but it may get you by for now.
  3. mdb

mdb Active Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Okanagan, Canada
    For that price... Possibly the Behringer XENYX 1622FX. It will sum and only send 2 channels by USB and the sound quality will be $200 worth, but it is a mixer with enough preamps and will send the signals to the PC.
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Is it possible to simply use a USB hub, and get four USB microphones? would that not work? just plug them in and go?