1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need help understanding Mbox!! (track production)

Discussion in 'Recording' started by BigTrey, Mar 22, 2005.

1. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Hey people I just joined the site today after looking at posts for two days. Anyway, I have just started to build my own project studio over the past week. The equipment I have is this:

Mbox
    Yamaha MG12/4 mixer
    Yamaha PSR-172 keyboard
    Kawai FS-690 keyboard (for midi control) - decent keyboard for being old
    Maxtor 80GB external Harddrive
    USB Midisport 2x2
    2 pairs of Sony MDR-V150 headphones (one for monitoring through mixer, one for Mbox)
    M Audio C02 Digital Converter
    KLH CDR-2000 Cd Player/Recorder
    Naxa nx-982 microphone
    Gateway M305 laptop computer w/512 ram, 2.40Ghz processor
    Art X-11 Midi master controller

I thought I would give a list of my current equipment because from the postings I have read it is helpful for others in order to give some direction. I just have a few questions:

Since I have the Mbox and it only offers 2 I/O does this mean that I would have to lay down each instrument to a seperate track and then mix them together to create a stereo track since the Mbox only offers 2 outs? What is the best way to go about using the Mbox? I know that I have extra inputs for external gear by using my mixer, but when it comes to recording I just need to know if I have to lay each instrument for a track seperately and then mix. Also, what would be a good set of monitors (under $100, to connect directly to stereo outs of mixer) that would enable me to monitor my mix without the headphones? Currently I am using my Sony home stereo for outside monitoring. Also does Digidesign offer any type of equipment that would expand the I/O of the Mbox without going to the Digi002? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dan_Pence

Dan_Pence Guest

The m-box only offers two analog inputs, which is going to limit you to only recording two analog signals at a time. In other words, yes, you will have to build your tracks two at a time and mix afterwards as you say.

Your other option is to take the main outs of your yamaha mixer and feed them into the m-box, using the yamaha to mix multiple sources down to a stereo track. You won't be able to mix these signals after the fact, but it's a good way to capture a live performance with limited inputs.

And no, digidesign does not offer any kind of expansion unit for the m-box. It's either make due with what the m-box offers or move up to either a 002 or another platform such as DP4.

I hope this helps some...

3. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Thanks Dan

That did help, thanks.

Trey