1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need help with helping my recordings sound good

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by durkmusic, Feb 5, 2011.

1. durkmusic

durkmusic Active Member

I have a blue yetti with a pop filter and recording about 5 inches away from the mic give or take. I have it set to cardioid and it's a usb mic so it's going straight into audacity. I am trying to get good vocals here but when I compare it to lil wayne acapellas his sound soooooo much better than mine. I mean I expect it to sound somewhat better but this mic is supposed to be really good. I am recording in a closet to. Maybe that affects the sound? I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what it is really supposed to even sound like. Here is a link to a sample recording:

vocalsample.mp3 - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Thanks so much for your help.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

You can't compare efforts in a closet at home with a professional studio with exacting room treatments and tens of thousands of dollars in microphones and processing equipment. The first thing that is required to get a good vocal take is a good voice. If you are trying to imitate another singer and your voice isn't at least similar then you are in for frustration.

3. TheJackAttack

And Lil Wayne isn't using a USB microphone.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

auctioneers and Rap is pretty dam close eh!

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Here is Stacey, currently in the ADL 600 Round 2 eliminations . She used a usb mic to record her guitar and voice.

Presonus ADL 600 - contest - Raininggently.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

6. durkmusic

durkmusic Active Member

Ok perhaps I don't want to compare it to lil wayne.
    YouTube - TMC - Single Freestyle
    Watch that. You can tell he is using a USB mic and mine is supposed to be better plus I have a pop filter and he doesn't. His vocals actually sound more like lil waynes tho. Mine sound almost too in your face. I mean the quality is good it's just the presence of the voice is different. Lil waynes seem back and relaxed, the video I showed you his are in the middle and mine are like you can tell it was recorded by a mic. You know what I mean?

7. TheJackAttack

Try to sing more laid back first. Turn the vocal down in the mix second. If the recorded track by itself is of decent quality then everything else is either the actual performance recorded or the processing in the mix.