1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need help

Discussion in 'Recording' started by chadt776, Mar 5, 2009.

1. chadt776

chadt776 Guest

Hey i'm getting a yamaha mixer with about 12 channels for recording to my computer with cubase, and don't have the money for an interface can I record without an interface?

2. NCdan

NCdan Guest

What you want is a firewire mixer. That is an interface and mixer rolled into one! Sounds nifty, doesn't it? Of course, these aren't dirt cheap. If you want to record a whole band at the same time and sound good, you're gonna need to drop thousands and thousands of dollars (assuming you don't already have mics, preamps, good guitar amps, acoustic treatment, etc...). Otherwise, overdubbing works quite well, and you don't need 12 channels to overdub. What Yamaha mixer are you looking at? You basically need the mixer to feed into your computer with a firewire or usb connection for it to also be an interface. A standard sound board won't provide recording capabilities.

3. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

NCdan
    "A standard sound board won't provide recording capabilities."
    Don't say that to Codemonkey, he'll tell you it does too, just very limited.

4. NCdan

NCdan Guest

Yeah, you're right jg49. Of course, you could always hook up the sound board to an interface, but then the question is: why didn't you just get a firewire mixer in the first place?

5. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

I assume he is getting the mixer for free because it has "ABOUT 12 channels" maybe 11 or possibly 13, and has no money, but did "somehow?" acquire Cubase.