Need opinions on the mastering job... please

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by SittinIdol, Nov 23, 2004.

1. SittinIdol

SittinIdol Guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, just got my CD back from mastering, and I thought I'd get some opinions from the mastering gurus...

I've posted a few songs, mastered and unmastered versions here:
    Robbie

I don't know if I'm being anal, but I think I'm hearing some slight compression artifacts mostly in the kick drum on the mastered versions? I might ask the mastering engineer to drop the volume a few db and get back some of the dynamic range.

I guess it's inevitable when boosting up a song to commercial volume to compress the peaks. Let me know what you guys think of the two versions please?

Thanks
    Rick

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

There are ways of handling that...

But yeah, it's a little hard to tell on the MP3. I only listened to one of them. I've heard (much) worse from what I can tell from the MP3.

Those kicks certainly are out in the open - I could see that being a concern from the start.

I do sort of like the unmastered version better...

3. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

yeah, it's a little smashed. lost the snap in the kick and snare. but some other things improved. maybe hitting the limiter less would be the ticket.

4. SittinIdol

SittinIdol Guest

Thanks guys,

I just added "Homestead" and "Stray". Wondering what you think of those?

Thanks again for your help

Rick Hatch
    Sittin' Idol
    http://www.sittinidol.com