1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need Pro Help.. (Studio Tips)

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Depar, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Depar

Depar Guest

Hey Guys,

I am doing rap music and I recently bought some equipment, and i need some help to show me ways i can get my vocals to sound more pro like. (kinda long but here it goes PLZ HELP ME )

1. I setup my studio inside my unfinished basement.. its a big empty place but it did not see a side effect from it
    2. A buddy of mine told me i only need a computer microphone and sound card since i have the instrumentals on mp3
    3. I have an Apex460 Wide Diaphragm Consdenser microphone.. and a Tascam US-122 USB sound card
    ****The sound card keeps skippin when i play anything or record and it shows skips on ma vocals too.. what do i do? :(:(:(******
    4.I am using Cool Edit Pro 2 to record ma vocals..

I would be very happy if you can give me some tips with these points

2. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm not a "pro" but I feel I can answer this question without any disagreements from the pros in this community.

1. Get a vocal booth or you can piece together something that will work, but will look a little ghetto. You'll need either some Auralex or hang dense blankets or material around the vocalist. Try to imagine a vocal both in your head and make a make-shift booth from blankets, mic stands, or whatever else you have laying around. (It will help from making the vocals sound like a guy standing in a room in front of a mic, unless that is what you are going for).

2. Great vocals go in this chain (In my opinion): Great vocalist -> great mic -> great preamp -> etc...in the words of Kurt Foster "garbage in = garbage out." Having a great vocalist is the first step, but if you don't have the gear to compliment the vocals it will sound like a great vocalist recorded on subpar gear.

If you know how to use the gear you have to it's full potential and record a good vocalist in a more acoustically controlled enviroment I have no doubts that you can get some decent tracks. Don't expect them to sound like a vocalist in a custom vocal booth singing into a U87 connected to an Avalon.
  3. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Distinguished Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    And most of us will take that over a crappy vocalist through an SSL any day. :cool:

Just my two cents. :)
  4. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    very true!