1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Need to get more volume on the headphone monitoring box!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jarjarbinks, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jarjarbinks

jarjarbinks Misa want to learn! Active Member

Hello experts,

I have a recording studio at home. I dont have a wall between the tracking and the control room, so its difficult to provide good levels of monitoring when recording a full rock band, even when using closed-circumaural headphones.

Can you recommend me a good and cost effective active headphone box? Or a power amp for the passive box I have?

Here's my set up:

Interface: Focusrite LS56
    DAW: Cubase 6
    Headphones: 4 X Sennheiser HD280 Pro
    Passive Monitoring: RedcoAudio Little Red Cue Box (Redco Audio - Custom Audio Cables - Recording Studio Supplies - Custom A/V Panels - Little Red Cue Box)

-No amps for the guitars, or the bass
    -Bass and guitars recorded as line inputs, so no external sound is being picked up, only direct sound from the amps
    -Only the drums are mic'd

The drums are so loud, the headphone mix can't reach enough volume to play properly.

Please help!

2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

The Behringer HA4700 is a four output headphone amp with lots of useful features. It's one of their better products and a good option in that price range.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I had to look. Less than $120 for this box. Wow. How do they make money on that. It looks great but how does this thing sound? I use the Little Red Cue Box too. Made in the good old USA. Solid metal and good pots. I like it for what it is, but it cost more than the HA4700 and is only a volume control. Its clean sound and screws nicely onto a mic stand or sits securely on a flat surface.

Protect your ears.

4. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

I guess how it sounds depends on your perspective. It's decent. For the OP it will be a nice upgrade to fix the inadequate volume. I've had ground/hum problems connecting unbalanced sources to its balanced main inputs, but the aux inputs are unbalanced anyway and work fine with unbalanced sources.

For road use I'd be a little nervous, but it's so cheap you could have a NIB spare on hand.