1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

NEOS coming!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by audiokid, Dec 20, 2012.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Oh man, I am a happy man. A NEOS will be at my door soon. I look forward to finding more hybrid thinking engineers out there. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    After a few years of real hands on use, there is no doubt about the benefits hybrid analog summing has and which products I lean towards. SPL and Dangerous Music Rock.

For those lurking and wondering, "should I dive into a lush analog summing system"? Hell Ya!

I will be selling my loved MixDream only because I upgraded to this beast. The MixDream is an awesome 16 channel summing amp. I think its the next best choice to the NEOS. Any question on any of this, I'll be happy to share what I have learned. I have a NEOS so I won't be holding back the thrill. Stay tuned...

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/tech/recording/mixers/neos-24-2-mixer-562784

Cheers!

Neos.jpg

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Ooh... nice indeed. I have NEOS now and a new journey begins. Wow, this thing is energized sounding. I've never experienced anything quit like this.

The key now, how do I preserve and upload all this energy online. The fun begins!

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

NOTE to those just chiming in: These examples I'm doing here are a 2nd generation "recording of a recording" tracked off of soundcloud. They are compressed MP3 that have gone through the internet and back. Far from full bandwidth.

Nice track.

Just As Crazy

Original:

NEOS

Would you like to discuss the track a bit. Might be fun?

Let Me Go, I like it. very 80's, my favourite era! :)

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Donny, Let Me Go is a great song. Love your voice. I would love to remix this one some time. Did you get air play with it? Tell me more about it?
    The upper mids (6k) sound glassy, like early pro tools. ?

Let Me Go:

Original

View: https://soundcloud.com/donny-thompson-4/let-me-go

Neos Mix:
    Basic Process

Internet/soundcloud> Lavry DA11> RME ADI-8 QS> AD> DAW> Basic fast Sequoia EQ/ a few db here and there> DA> Neos > touch of Bricasti M7 on an aux> 2-bus> Dangerous Master> STC-8 kissing it>Dangerous BAX> 2-bus AD > capture DAW> Comp/Limiter Internet.

6 versions in 2 db increments here. I strapped on a plug-in comp, a lame example but had to test something on the master DAW because I am craving a modern "Nickel Back" API style comp on the drums. The low end isn't coming through enough. A Transient Designer in the original mix would actually do the trick. Oooh, a remix would kick this into glory land. Lots of ideas evolving as I listen to this.

6. DonnyThompson

Chris...

I'm really diggin' the version of Let Me Go with the compressor. It sounds to me like it would have sounded - well, like it did sound, actually, when it was getting some airplay -when for a very short time I had a deal with a record label named Giant - mostly played in the midwest and parts of Ontario in the early 90's. This version sounds to me to be the closest to what it sounded like coming off those radio station's compressors. ;)

And by all means you can remix it... do you have a 16 track 1" Deck? LOL

Yup, this one was analog. One of the last things I did before I went kicking and screaming into digital... LOL

I think the last version with the comp and limiter is probably a bit too squashed for my tastes, although I won't doubt that all of them are warmer than a prom queen's..... welll.. you get the idea. ;)

Just As Crazy
    ... again... so warm, and it sounds to me as if you've tamed some of the top end sibilance a bit and made it silkier. Am I wrong or have I just heard the song too much? LOL

Here's the thing... I haven't disliked anything you've done with any of my tracks yet... they are all just different flavors that all work, it just becomes a matter of personal taste.

I think for me, because I wrote them, arranged them, recorded them mixed them, well, I think I've probably lost more than a little objectivity and would instead rely on other pro ears here - including yours - to make a decision and discuss the wherefore's and whys...

But by all means, there's not a bad version in the bunch, at least to my ears.... just a matter of personal taste.

Thanks for taking the time to play with these... this was fun...

now... what do YOU think?

-D.

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hey, thanks Donny!

Just saw your post. I've been updating my process while you were writing too. I added 6 total now and will stop..

I used to have a 16 track but she's gone. Sad, because I would love to tear this one apart and redo some of my stuff now too. Well, More like listen to each track and redo it in high fidelity. But I can't sing or play like I used to. Time goes by... Remixing is more my thing.

Nice to read your comments. The Neos makes everything silkier. Well Hybrid does to my ears. .
    Just working quickly with both I noticed an area at 240hz that would sound better removed and a bit more low end added. But back then we couldn't do that like now. 6k is glassy on the Vox. Sounds like a converter edginess? Not the ribbon you later used?

Great songs though. I don't have much to say really. Today we have so much more to work with. Everything today is bigger. Too bad we are all smashing the $*^t out of music though. It would all sound so much better if there were limits to all this eh.

The stems I work with are so terrible, they actually hurt my ears.

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Which version ?

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What I did to each version was all the same except : added 2 db increments of limiter makeup gain until it brickwalled.

None of these are actually "mastered" or in other words, did I attempt to eq to bring anything out. It was more a quick overall tweak that took less than 30 sec of my time. So in other words, pretty close to your mix. More like trying to recover what we loose in tape, but it does change something. Glad you like it and invited me.

This is basically the example of going OTB and back in DAAD through the summing rig with very little change to anything you did. But, some of you guys have incredible hearing and notice so much more. I think you are one of them! thumb We seem to be picking up on similar critiques with the members songs eh?

In the DAW I added a bell of .5 db in the mids, pulled a notch where there was a esssy area at 6k and a slight lower freq boots 40 hz to help the bottom. On the 2-bus in the analog stage I added the BAX for a bit more top and bottom which would have been there in your original 16 track as you pointed out. Thats the common area's that rolled off back then. yes? .

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hey! It would be interesting to have the high quality version of this and do it better than a second generation soundcloud recording ? This would make a huge improvement. The Neos is really not proving what it could.

How did you convert this for the internet? This is where I'm hearing the 6k glass from I think?

11. DonnyThompson

Chris, I'd be more than happy to drop the original wave file into drop box for you to play around with if you want, although again, this was tracked in the early 90's on analog but sadly, probably saw a DAT conversion somewhere along the line, so yeah, you might be hearing that cheaper converter edge there that, unless we dug out the old 1" master and remixed, is probably part of the file.

Let me know what yuo'd like to do, I'd be glad to put the wave file into DB for you, just need an email... by the way, my email is DonnyThompson AT neo dot rr dot com...

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

cool, might as well do it best we can before stopping! I've got time to burn for learning right now, so I'm really happy to experiment with this before festival season starts. . Thanks for adding to the fun!

A DB invite is sent.

Cheers!

13. DonnyThompson

For some reason, it wouldn't let me upload the file.

I've created a "Donny-Chris" folder in my DB account. If you shoot me your email I'll get you access to it.

I promise to not flood your mailbox with ads for mortgage refi's or ******. :)

14. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I must have goofed it up. recording at recording dot org

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Duh, I didn't active you. Its done now. We'll need it done for other things now anyway :)

NOTE, All files above have been removed. Making room as we go.

16. DonnyThompson

I sent you an invite to our folder.

Check your email :)

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Original vs Neos, Loop Comparison

Original vs Neos, Loop Comparison

Basic concept & Process
    . to track a mastered song through the Neos and compare. History of the song, Original analog master converted to a Wave.

Used 2 DAW's. > DAW# 1 is a tracking and mixing DAW > DA> NEOS Hybrid> AD> DAW# 2 Mastering DAW (Neos sum). (Both DAW's are loaded with Sequoia 12 44.1/16)

1. Created a new session and imported a previously summed 44.1/16bit wave file into Sequoia 12 (DAW1). Ran it through the Neos and recorded that to (DAW #2) mastering recorder (44.1/16 bit). (In and out) No processing at all. I then Normalized the Neos version and saved it.
    2. Created a new session and imported both original and Neos version to have their own tracks. I lined them and performing a null. What remained was a noticeable amount including some low end snap and punch from the Neos.
    3. I then Chopped 1 bar from each version and normalized each one of those bars so the transients were peaking exact to each other. Looped them together and uploaded it to soundcloud.

The result is original vs Neos.

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

The next test should definitely be a full track session prior to any summing, SRC or mastering for the NEOS version because its impossible to improve or to demonstrative what this thing is capable of.
    If anyone has a Mastered song that could provide me with good stems or ideally full track count with a master version as well, I would be happy to test this further. I'm certain this would prove to be interesting to astonishing.

19. DonnyThompson

I'm sure there's a mastered version.... lol... somewhere. Very Interesting freq/phase response on the null.

I'll wait to hear what you do next with what you have, and in the meantime I'll go searching for that mastered track. ;)

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I've never heard this much phase doing this? Whats that all about? Is that the mass voltage swinging per-say?
    I'm going to duplicate my process but this time using the MixDream .