1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Neve 1073, the sound

Discussion in 'Recording' started by franz130175, Feb 14, 2004.

1. franz130175

franz130175 Guest

Hi guys,

I was thinking of buying some great pre, because I really think this could warm up my vocals recording.

Everybody speaks about Neve 1073, I would like to know if there is some audio comparison between some pres somewere to be downloaded.

For instance U87 -> Neve 1073 -> DAW
    in comparison to
    U87 -> same DAW
    or with other pres in between.

That would be very useful and interesting...

(sorry for my italianized english)

Thank you.
  2. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

Jun 9, 2003
    There might be something here.

Samson C Control
  3. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    trust me on this....

If you get a 1073 you'll be happy.

If you can't get good sound with it then it's something a "pre" won't fix.
  4. franz130175

franz130175 Guest

Thank you,
    Samson C Control is really a great site!
  5. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    The one caveat on this is if you are getting a vintage (i.e. real) neve 1073 make sure it's in working condition. Take it to a tech to verify that it is. Also, real Neves are old & expensive. I'd suggest a copy, their are many that sound as close to any neves as individual neve channels do from each other. You'll save money and have a warranty and support. Then when you get more channels you'll have a consistency.
  6. Marcus Black

Marcus Black Guest

I have two 1073 clones and I´m very pleased with them. These are made without any compromise (most of the clone-makers make compromises in their designs, unfortunately) and are very true to the original. Check out http://www.vintagedesign.tk and the ca73 channel amplifier. -80dB´s of gain, like they´re supposed to have. Buy the, buy them, buy them !
  7. franz130175

franz130175 Guest

Markus, thank you for the link.

I don't know much about clones, how would you compare a VintageDesign CA30 with, for instance, a Vintech X73 or X73i?

Are there other good sounding clones?
  8. franz130175

franz130175 Guest

Sorry Marcus...

I meant CA73.

(I little tired today)
  9. Mundox

Mundox Guest

The main difference in these clones are the transformers they use for input and output. If I am not mistaken the closest match to the original is ST Ives transformers. Some people use Sowters too. If you find one with Marinair go for it, that's a real one.