1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

neve 8801 channel strip

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by song4gabriel, Jan 3, 2008.

1. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

Hello all

anyone have any opinions on the Neve 8801 channel strip? i have been saving my pennies for a pendulum quartet but this new neve strip has a "total recall" feature that has interested me. plus its got an a/d converter option. reviews have been rather scarce however.

will be used mostly for male vocals with a k2 and sm7 mics

thanks

happy new year

2. cyork

cyork Guest

I've got one and I'm really happy with it. It's not nearly as coloured sounding as the Chandler strip I have or the older Neve stuff but still more coloured than my Martech MSS-10s. The EQ is wonderful and configurable to sidechain to the compressor which is very, very useful.

I just used it with an SM-7 the other day for a narration VO and was floored with the sound we got. We started out with an M-149 into an MSS-10, but decided to shoot for something warmer and more intimate. We moved to trying an MD421 and the SM-7 and in the process tried a couple of other pres...In the end the SM-7 into the 8801 was the winning combo for the session.

For the price, pre, compressor, eq and the configuration options I really think the 8801s are a good bargain.

Cheers,
    Chad