1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Neve Modules - HI / LO Switch?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Melange, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Melange

Melange Guest

I've been using various 10XX series modules for a while now and was wondering in anyone knows the correct setting of the switch on the back of the module. I've always just went with whatever it was already set to, until I starting hearing about a "correct" setting for a particular mic. I recently spoke to someone knowledgable, and they said if you are using newer microphones, set it to HI. I did this with a Royer 121, and got a considerable amount of noise, so I switched it back to LO. I've tried other mics and A/B'd the differences between the two settings, and I can't seem to really hear a difference. I used an AKG "The Tube" mic the other day with the module set on HI and got a nasty ground loop. When I switched it to LO, it went away. This was a 1073 module mounted in a Mercenary two-space chassis. The same module mounted in the console it came in does not produce the ground loop under the same conditions. What gives?

2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Drop this question into the ProSoundWeb forum and ask John Klett. You should get a very specific answer.

3. Melange, please be sure to come back here and tell us what they said hehe ;)

4. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Could it be for impedance? Does one sound like 1200 ohms and the other like 300 ohms?

5. Jon Atack

Jon Atack Member

Yes, it is an impedance switch.

Jon

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

This is the impedance switch for the microphone transformer. HI=1200 ohms, LO=300 ohms. This switch has been brought to the face plate on the Great River MP-2NV.

7. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Now then... is Melange experiencing the ground-loop because of the lower impedance? Is the higher impedance slowing down the loop? Or is there something more complicated going on electronically?