1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Neve Portico 5016 vs 5012

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by Slowfamily, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Slowfamily

Slowfamily Guest

Hi all,

Just stumbled upon this forum while doing some research, and decided I might actually try to post a question I have yet to find an answer for..

I'm currently looking to buy a preamp and a new mic to supplement my very limited current setup. I've previously just been recording an SM57 directly in to a MOTU 828, and definitely think I could stand to step that up.

I have about a $1500 budget for these two items. I'm looking to mostly record vocals, though likely some guitar as well. As to what mic to get is a whole other question (I'm thinking maybe an AKG Perception 400). For the preamp, I've been thinking about a Portico 5016. The DI input seems like it would be nice for guitar, and the fact that it can take a line level in seems like another good option.

My real question is this: Why is the 5016 so much cheaper than the 5012 (Just the pre, no DI)? From what I can tell, the specs are the same, so why would just the pre be more expensive? I can understand why the 5016 would be cheaper than their other current models ( with compressors, Eq, etc), but it doesn't seem to make sense with the 5016 and 5012. Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Link555

Link555 Distinguished Member

Mar 31, 2007
    North Vancouver
    I think a 5012 is a dual pre, while the 5016 is single preamp and DI. I would guess the transformer might be a bit more expensive in the pre-amp section than the DI section.