1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New 24 bit A/D vs. a great old 18 bit

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by MadMoose, Nov 15, 2001.

1. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

Apr 22, 2001
    I'm going to be getting an A/D converter in the next week or so. I was going to get the Lucid 2496 but I found an 18-bit Mytek for less. I know the Mytek was really expensive back in the day, how would it compare to a new Lucid or Rosetta? Being 2496 compatible isn't all that important to me right now as I don't have any other gear that can handle it. Good sound is the only consideration. FWIW, the Mytek is $500 (maybe less, we haven't talked price yet) and I can get the Lucid new from a friend for about $650.
  2. sjoko

sjoko Guest

The Mytek was very good indeed in its day, one of the best. But digital technology has moved on fast, and the LudicAD9624 is definately a lot better
  3. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

Apr 22, 2001
    I ended up with the Mytek 2018. I got it for $400 and I'm pretty happy with it.
  4. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Bloomington, IL
    What is the Mytek replacing? :roll:
  5. UTS

UTS Guest

I had the same thoughts going on lately. I think it all depends on what sort of music you are recording. I don't hear much benefit in 24 Bit converters vs. the 18 Bit converters, or 16 Bit Files vs. 24 Bit Files when it comes to the raw Rock and Metal stuff I am recording. With highly dynamic acoustic music or classical music this is a different story of course.....

6. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Originally posted by drumsound:
    What is the Mytek replacing?

The stock converters on a Tascam DA-30MkII or a Marantz CDR-630. After spending the last two days with it I'm really happy. My mixes have more depth, space and the fade outs and reverb tails aren't as grainy. It has a soft limit with a variable threshold and ratio as well as a UV22 like feature. Not bad for something that's probably about 7 years old.