1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New AVID Mboxes

Discussion in 'Recording' started by blaumph2cool, Sep 14, 2010.

1. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

While I am not suprised AVID rebranded the Mboxes I am suprised at this statement "Now for use with all DAWs and audio software!"

I've never owned an of digi's products so I don't know, do they really only work with the protools platform?

2. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

No, they have always worked to some extent with other DAWS. I used my 001 with Cubase and Samplitude. It worked quite well actually. I even kind of miss that setup. Now however, their hardware are OFFICIALLY supporting other DAWs. Hooray.......I suppose.

What would really be significant is if this is a lead in to another option being opened. That is, ProTools(LE at best) will be open to other hardware. They're teasing us because AVID DS is now a Software only release.

Incidentally i started a blog on this subject already. Not to detract responses from this thread. Just saying.

3. dmocarski

dmocarski Guest

Yea, I've used the 003 and mbox with logic, it's just you can't use other interfaces with pro tools still like hueseph said.

4. geoffbrecker

geoffbrecker Guest

Yeah, they'll never let other manufacturers in. Ever.
    They're like apple that way. Can't blame em I guess.

5. davesanridge

davesanridge Active Member

Now you can! With Pro Tools 9 you can use any hardware on the market. Besides a few isolated bugs here and there. Hell REALLY has frozen over.

6. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

The new Mboxs are shipping with ProTools 9 for about $600 for the mini. That's twice what they were with PT 8. On the other hand PT9 retails for about $600. May as well buy the Mbox with PT 9 and an iLok in the box. You can still buy another interface but you can use the mini for a mobile scratch pad, so to speak.