1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New Business renovating musical instruments

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by Music Innovation, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Music Innovation

Music Innovation Active Member

I am considering setting up a business to repair/renovate musical instruments,for sale or hire. Would their be a viable market out there?
    Are people interested in hiring or purchasing second hand instruments in today's economy?

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

If second hand instrument market was dead, pawn shop wouldn't buy them anymore.
    You should do a market study of your region, it's the only way to know if there's enough potential customers.

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Are you talking about just guitars, drums, amps, etc?

If you expanded that model to school band instruments as well, you'd have a whole other sizable customer base.

For example, every late summer - early fall, kids are signing up for school band, so parents are in the market for school band instruments; and because the majority of kids who pick up an instrument end up walking away from it within the first year, parents are likely to be more interested in used instruments than they are brand new.

If by December, Johnny decides that the trumpet isn't as much fun as his skis are, mom and dad haven't dropped big money into a brand new instrument that is now tucked away in a closet.

So if you learned how to fix valves, re-pad saxes, replace broken lugs, etc., you could have another revenue base. I'm also suspecting that you will be the one that the parents return to first to try and re-sell these items when they find out that their kids aren't interested anymore, so you could potentially make money twice on the same instrument. Factor in repair services - because kids can be mighty tough on instruments - and you are making money there as well.

Just thinking out loud...

4. Music Innovation

Music Innovation Active Member

Thank you to both of you for taking time out to help me, especially you DonnyThompson, a brilliant answer to my question and has opened my eyes to the extra market out there for second hand instruments and rental instruments. Greatly appreciated !!!! :D