1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New Interface or Mixer?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by abefroman35, Jun 20, 2008.

1. abefroman35

abefroman35 Guest

Hey, just joined so I know that this question is probably already answered but I was just going to ask and then Ill do some more research. About a year ago I produced my own album, basically just a demo to get my name out there when I was playin shows. But I am moving in Aug, and I am going to be playing a lot more and start recording a lot more. I have the Line 6 TonePort UX2, and I used like WavePad or Krystal to record and mix my album (which was completely terrible, I squeezed every bit of quality sound out of it that I could). I have been around recording and live sound and such for a few years and I have learned a lot from people I've met.

I ordered a new XPS M1530 (which is STILL NOT HERE! after freakin a month) but it is Dual-Core 1.83Ghz, 4G Mem, Vista, blah blah blah. And I got a copy of Cubase SX3, which I plan to use for producing from now on (i just cannot get it to work with the line6, well with out a CRAP load of latency). And I have a bunch of other gear for guitar, conisdering that is my main focus, but I dont feel like going into that.

So my question is, What would be the best thing (ie. interface or mixer/digital workstation) for me to get to start recording again? I do not plan on producing albums and such. I just want to get my ideas down and be able to make rough drafts of what I would really want for an album.

What would be your guys suggestions? I am willing to spend up to $500 on something, but I would def like to keep it down on the price rang like 200-300. Would it more beneficial for me to just get a nice interface? Or get a decent HD Mixer, like the Zoom HD8CD or something?

2. orbit

orbit Guest

so you are just wanting to record a guitar direct? an acoustic with a mic? vocals also? need to be probably a little more specific

3. abefroman35

abefroman35 Guest

yeah sorry about that

no I am going to be recording others, I like to record most of my stuff with just mics. Im really about analog sound and stuff. I am going to want to record sessions too, that was another thing I should have added. I will mic my amp, drums, and voice at least, bass I might would plug straight into an input. And I also want to get a midi board or synth or somethin to use that as well, (while im mixin and stuff blah blah) And I will be doing more recording by myself as well.

4. orbit

orbit Guest

well i can at least say that if you get a mixer, unless you get something like the mackie onyx, you're going to need A/D converters to go into. so if you get an interface like the presonus firestudio or soemthing that eliminates another piece of gear that you need...

myself i tend to shy away from "all in one" types of units...i go from preamps into my delta 1010 (a/d converter) because i dont want a preamp that has a/d converters tied to it. i like each unit to be dedicated to what it does best.