1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New Interface

Discussion in 'Recording' started by prsnut, Nov 24, 2011.

1. prsnut

prsnut Active Member

Hello all,

I've been absent from posting for awhile. I've been focusing mostly on improving my musicianship and less on my recording on abilities. I come to you today with a question on recording interfaces. My current signal flow is Mic->Saffire Pro 40->Sonar 8.5. The only outboard gear I have is a Benchmark MPA1, and I do not utilize it because the Saffire does not have line level inputs that bypass the onboard preamps.

I'm looking at changing interfaces so that I can utilize the Benchmark preamp. I've finally realized I don't need 8 preamps from the interface. I use maybe 3 at the most, which is another reason for my decision to downsize. I am currently researching and considering the Sound Devices USB Pre2 and the FireFace 400. Portability is not a deciding issue for me. Either interface will be used in house only. I guess my curiosity is whether the FireFace sound quality and features justify the extra $$ over the Sound Devices.

I will be recording acoustic guitar and mic'ed electric guitars. The mics will be Neumann KM84, Shure KSM 32, SM57, 58 and Beta 57. I am not looking for my sound to be colored in any way. I want my preamp to be very transparent. In a perfect world what I hear going in, will be exactly what I hear coming out.

Thanks in advance for reading and replying. I apologize in advance if there is some other information you need that I may have omitted.

Jeremy

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

I would be looking at the newer RME FireFace UFX rather than the 400. The UFX has 4 high-quality neutral-sounding pre-amps plus 8 line-level inputs (by-passing the internal pre-amps) that you can use with external pre-amps such as your Benchmark MPA1. The UFX is in at least a league above the Saffire Pro 40.

I am slightly surprised you are also considering the SD USB Pre2 alongside RME products for a studio installation. As excellent as the SD units are, they are designed for portable applications and are not particularly targeted at studio usage.