1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New LDC suggestion

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by WRX07, Aug 23, 2005.

1. WRX07

WRX07 Guest

I'm looking to buy a nice ldc mic in the $2000 range for multiple uses(male or female vocals, acoustic guitar, drums, piano, electric guitar, room mic...). Right now my mic collection consists of:
    AKG C1000
    AKG D112
    Audio Technica ATM25
    Audio Technica 3035
    Rode NT-2
    Royer R-121
    Sennheiser E609
    Sennheiser MD421(3)
    Shure SM57(2)
    Shure SM58
    Shure SM81(2)
    Studio Projects C1

I've been thinking of getting a Soundelux U195 or a Soundelux ifet7(or maybe even both...). I would appreciate any suggestions please.

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Check out:

Charter Oak
    SoundElux
    Gefell
    AT 4060

All are sure winners!

J.

3. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

I highly recommend both. But, if I had to pick 1 of the 2, I'd go with the ifet7. Acutally, if I had to choose only 1 microphone to do an entire rock album, it would be the ifet7. For male and female vocals, the ifet7 will be quite versatile, the ifet7 is also excellent for instruments, the microphone has 2 modes, one for vox and one for instruments, as you probably already know. The U195 is still very versatile, but is slightly brighter and cleaner than the ifet7 in general. In it's price range, give or take a couple hundred, nothing can touch it IMO.

The U195 or Ifet7 would complement your existing microphone collection, I didn't see anything on the list that sounds similar to the Soundelux.

4. WRX07

WRX07 Guest

Nathan, where were you before I bought the TLM103?! Just kidding...but seriously-damn that Neumann.

Is it pronounced New-man or Noy-man

5. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

6. lastounce

lastounce Guest

I dont understand what the recent hate for tlm103 is about?? I love that little mic. It sounds great!

7. mrbwnstn

mrbwnstn Guest

Does anyone have WRX07 email address? I'm trying to get in contact with him.

8. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Actually it's Noy-Mahn. Like Opey on Andy Griffith says "hey maw" (really). I like the TLM103 on toms, that's pretty much it.

9. kats

kats Guest

I'd have to give a +1 to the ifet7 as well. It works great on alot of sources - it might not be "perfect" for each one but it's never bad. In vocal mode I would describe it as a more masculine version of a u87ai. HAving said that, don't be afraid to try instrument mode on vocals as well - sometimes it just works right as I went through a bunch of mics recently on a singer and for the hell of it we tried the ifet7 I mode, and that was the choice.

As your mic collection increases you'll still find good use for the ifet7. It's great on kick drum and FOK and I have no problem sticking in from of an amp.