1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New Manley MU - not working!!!

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Mad John, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Hello everyone ,

I just hooked my brand new MU in today and I got a shocking suprize! I have it going direct in to the stereo incerts of a Mackie 32 channel mixer.

The cables are Monster 500 series XLR to ring tip sleeve and work fine for my Distressors.

When I am in bypass mode the signal comes through fine. But when I engage the compression there is but a slight tiny sound.....what happened? Did it blow a fuse?

Eva Anna said I had to re soder the wires , however I have spoken to a few people today about the pin 1=Ground, pin 2= Hot(+), pin 3= cold (-)
    and they said the Manley should work with my configuration.

Please some one , what is going on?

Thanks!

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

"The present day Composer refuses to die!" Varese :(

2. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Yes, pin 1=G, pin 2=+, pin 3=-, but you haven't explained exactly how you wired it to the insert plug?

3. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Hi ANG ,

It is a simple hook up. Monster incert cables with XLR male- female on one side and 1/4 inch ring tip sleeve.

The 1/4 inch plugs are going into the female 1/4 inch Mackie Stereo Incerts.

Again I get a signal in bypass and a shrill faint almost unaudible signal when the MUs Compressor is engaged.

I am considering sending it back!!!

What can I check to asure the fault is not my own?

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

4. Faeflora

Faeflora Guest

Originally posted by John Thomas Milhorat:
    Hi ANG ,

It is a simple hook up. Monster incert cables with XLR male- female on one side and 1/4 inch ring tip sleeve.

The 1/4 inch plugs are going into the female 1/4 inch Mackie Stereo Incerts.

Again I get a signal in bypass and a shrill faint almost unaudible signal when the MUs Compressor is engaged.

I am considering sending it back!!!

What can I check to asure the fault is not my own?

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

Well if you only get the noise when the compressor is engaged, the MU is probably fuckeded up. Actually, I had a simmilar problem with my Massive Passive. When the right channel was in BYPASS, the signal would distort heavily. It sounded AOK when the EQ was engaged. I sent it back and Manley couldn't find anything wrong with it, but they replaced the right PCB. I haven't tested it again yet cus my studio is in boxes, but I'll post the results if anyone cares.

5. bnewsommfic

bnewsommfic Guest

I find that the Vari-Mu in the studio where I work sounds better when it's not in the unbalanced insert and when it's getting a 600 ohm load, but it doesn't do any crazy stuff like you described. Sounds like you probably need to send it back, which is a bitch since its heavy and delicate. BTW did you check that all the tubes and other electronics are securely in their sockets? When we got ours some stuff had come loose in shipping. Good luck.

6. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

I am just about to try a recomendation , which is to simple use an adaptor that reverses pin 2 and 3 polarity.

Will let you know if this works.

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

7. miketholen

miketholen Guest

I've found that the Manley boxes sound much better while bypassed too. :p
    :w:

8. erockerboy

erockerboy Member

Oh, spare us Mike. Next comes the pitch for the Telefucken' V72, right?

9. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Hey what do you know...it works!

The MU is Ballenced , where Mackie incerts are unballenced. I had to use a simple adapter that takes 1/4 inch cables to adapter then to MU (XLR)

I really was woried for a minute there!

Hate to spend the bucks for sucks! :D

I am greatly releaved....now if the store I got these adaptors from just had had one more I could of heard both sides tonight...oh well.

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

10. Ang1970

Then the hook up wasn't that simple, was it?
    If you have a soldering iron, I can help you wire the insert cable properly so you don't need no steenking adapters.

11. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Is it bad to use the adaptors? To tell you the truth I was worried about that myself.

Sam Ass gave me some Hosa adaptors , and I was yearning to find out if the MU was faulty or not, so I had to get them...bad move?

Cheers!

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

12. miketholen

miketholen Guest

LOL :w:
    I love the mackie/manley coupling.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Everyone who was able to predict Mike's last comments, please raise your hands:

:w: :w: :w:
    :w: :w:
    :w: :w: :w:

14. Ang1970

Ordinarily, no. But how much did you pay for the Monster cables? IMO it doesn't make sense to get cables that expensive and then add some cheap adapters to the chain.

Knowing at least some rudimentary audio electronics before you go purchasing $10,000 worth of gear is what makes sense to me. But it does no good to beat yourself up about it, right?

(Dead Link Removed)

Hope that helps.

15. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

I was informed that although it would seem the cheap way to connect the Manley , the path is so short with the adaptors that it does not degrade the singnal.

Is this the case?

I will be useing a ballenced patchbay soon. Will I need the adaptors for this configuration?

I am still a little confused , The Manley stuff is not completly straight forward and it rattles my nuts to sit on a fence between Professional (Manley) and semi Professional hook ups (Mackie.)

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

"The present day modern Composer refuses to die"
    - Edgar Varese :p

16. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Balanced patchbays are going to be a nice addition, but they won't change the fact that the insert points on your Mackie (or any other sub-$10,000 mixer that i can think of) are unbalanced. I imagine you could probably pick up something like a small Neotek for about the same money as your Mackie D8B and that problem would be solved.

The trade off is you'll get much better sonics. (You may even like the built in preamps and eq enough that you will end up saving a ton on outboard gear.) But you'll lose the automation, built in processing, etc. So you have to decide what is more important for your specific needs.

17. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Originally posted by littledog:
    Balanced patchbays are going to be a nice addition, but they won't change the fact that the insert points on your Mackie (or any other sub-$10,000 mixer that i can think of) are unbalanced.

Why does he have to 'insert'? Why not go balanced out of the piece of outboard gear into the patchbay, and into the same piece of gear from the patch bay (giving each i/o a discrete point on the bay), and it will remain balanced the whole time.

18. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Nathen ,

I think your suggestion sounds more like the way I wish to go.

You all have to forgive me , but really I am not stupied , it is just that I never understood that there was such a gap between true pro configurations and semi Pro ones.

My goel here gentalman (and gentlewoman) is to be as pure in my routing as possible , with the exception of sodering cables to my patchbays!

I wish to take the ballenced ins and out of the MU, place them to the pathbay, then to the board as well as ant preamp that I have (Manley,2-610)
    which all go direct to tape.

I have never done this before in this manner and I still dont have a ballenced patchbay.

I have always done alot of unplugging and plugging. I know , not good , but I am learning and I really do wish do things correctly when it comes to the electrical/patch hook up.

Thank you for your concern folks!

Plesently enough,

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

;)

19. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Sorry Nathan!!! :eek:

20. miketholen

miketholen Guest

but I am learning and I really do wish do things correctly
    then what are you doing that you need a 5,000 USD 2-bus compressor?
    what else is in your studio, how much exp. do you have?
    Mackie? fine for the beginner but then toss a vari-mu over it? hmmm....waste of money for your purposes. IMO.
    sell it get your dough and go intern at a top joint, shut up and learn. :w: