1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New member recordings and equipt: what should I improve on?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by kendo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. kendo

kendo Guest

Hello to all. Thanks for taking a look.

My equiptment list:

Yamaha AW2816 recorder
    Focusrite twin track pro stero pre amp
    Roland Fantom S keyboard
    M-audio BX8 monitors
    Rode NTK mic
    Shure KSM 109 mic
    Audio-Technica AE4100 mic
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones
    Tech21 trademark 10 amp w/ direct box
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp
    Marshall VS100 amp
    CA AE legacy acoustic guitar
    multiple electric guitars

I have had this rig for a while and have not really gotten too deep into all of the functions it is capable of. Please take a listen to some of my recordings from my homepage and tell me what your impressions are. I came into this as a guitar player who started making 4-track recordings on cassettes and I have much to learn about this rig. I know that I could be using the motorized faders, MIDI, sequencing, better use of effects mixing techniques ,editing, etc. These things are all unfamiliar to me.
    I use the simplest methods for getting everything recorded, mixed, and burned. I do a click track, then record an acoustic guitar throwaway track for reference, add kick and snare( from the keyboard) on the next track, then hi-hat on the next, bass, rhythm guitar, vocal, lead guitar, cymbals, back-up vocals.
    I then just set the levels at what I feel is a decent mix and mixdown to a stereo track. Finally, I burn that to a cd and use the cd in my pc to make a 128 kb mp3 for soundclick.com.
    I know that the first thing I should change is that I need to educate myself about my systems' capabilities. Here's the real question, though. I find the use of all this stuff a bit daunting so, what aspect of recording would you suggest I concentrate on learning FIRST based on what you read and what you heard. I am a bit of a slow learner and want to make the best use of what time I have available.
    I have heard some incredible sounds in my short time here and can't wait to get some advice from knowledgeable people. "Thanks!" in advance for any comments and suggestions.