1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by TeddyG, Jan 20, 2005.

1. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Suggestions for a new motherboard will be appreciated.

Running Wavelab 5 - Windows 2000 Pro. I have an "everything" machine, with separate OS and other drives on drawers, so when I'm "audio" I'm "audio" only, but I do need to use it for run-of-the-mill computerizing and alot of photography - if that helps. Any other info needed, please ask!

Teddy G.

2. kinetic

kinetic Guest

I've built about 5 systems (including my own) using the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo with great results, using Athlons from 2000+ to 3200+

Have had zero problems with this board. My system runs SX3, WaveLab, Audition, most of the Native Instruments Vstis, all three of the Spectrasonics Vstis, Moog V and a shitload of plugins including those from Kjaerhus, Voxengo, Akai and Antares.

I can't afford a second system for non music use, so, heaven forbid, I also surf the net, write crap, do spreadsheets and all those sorts of things people do and I don't have any problems. There is an issue with ASPI drivers used by WaveLab and Nero which prevents me from using WaveLab to burn or rip, but this is a well known and well documented problem that has nothing to do with the mobo. I just use Nero or Audition to burn or rip instead of WaveLab. Other systems I built used similar applications, but different interfacing hardware (I use Echo Gina 24), and some of those systems used Reason rewired to SX and again no issues.

This is a highly recommended board for AMD systems. Hope this helps!

3. gnarr

gnarr Guest

i would recommend Athlon64 if you use SX because SX3 is programmed for 64bit's. that means you'll get some extra performance when you use SX 3 + win64 + Athlon64 :)

4. frob

frob Well-Known Member

are you meaning to uild a compeatly new DAW newRam newMobo newHD newCPU or do you have all the other junk and need to replace a motherboard?

5. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Thankx for the responses so far!

More info -

I'd like a whole new computer. Finances do not permit.

So, for now, as the motherboard may be "busted", to some degree(I'm working on it), I would like to investigate a new motherboard - period. The MB I have is a simple consumer MB from MSI - 845E Max, to be specific(Works fine - or did..?).

I have a Pentium 4 1.8 and in any event, I'd likely stay with Intel processor - I use Wavelab 5 for audio. I may add Adobe Audition(I can get it cheap as a former Cool Edit customer). I use a LynxOne.

TG

6. frob

frob Well-Known Member

im not really familiar with the 1.8 (when it came out so did a lot of others) i would recomend the asus, abit, and shuttle brands you sould visit there web sites and find which one has the featurs/price that you want and then go buy one. stay away from msi mobos though there of the devil.