1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New PC as a Daw... and 4anything else. Possible? Please help

Discussion in 'Recording' started by BIONICBOY, Jun 15, 2005.

1. BIONICBOY

BIONICBOY Guest

Hi everybody i'm new here. Excuse if my english is not perfect, i am from Spain.

I'm a Dj and i'm going start producing with Cubase SX / Reason (maybe Logic 5.5). I have a PIII 600 that is dying and i need a new PC. But sadly i don't have enough money nor room to get 2 pc's (one for DAW other for gaming, internet etc).

I've been carefully reading this and other forums and i know nforce4 is a big no-no for audio.

My preference now is to get an AMD 64 X2 4400+ with a Gygabyte k8ns nforce 3 ultra (with the F6 bios for dual core support). I have a good Mitsubishi crt monitor and i'll add a second monitor (tft, not much space). The sound card will probabbly be a m-audio delta 1010 lt. 2 gb of ram, a raptor ide disc for the system and a raid 0 two fast 160 gb sata discs.

Obviously the dilemma is the video card. I've been reading the pci-xpress problems and the nforce4 problems. I'll use the pc for learning house music producing but i want to play games too and use it for the rest of things (i know it's not the best i can do but there's no other solution). Also, i want the pc to last 3 years in good service.

If a get a nforce3 motherboard and a nvidia geforce 6600 GT video card that is AGP bus ┬┐the audio perfomance will be VERY affected?. I won't probabbly stress the system to the limits because i'm gonna learn music production. Could i produce a track and play games and do all things with this setup?. It's a good compromise solution? There are better ways?

Maybe using a Tyan mobo with a couple of opterons?. I've read nforce 4 works ok for audio in this case. Could i use a big 3d graphic card with the Tyan and have not so much penalty in the audio perfomance?

By last... is possible to use the onboard sound for gaming and the m-audio for producing?.

Any advice for my situation will be welcome. Thank you.

PD: I need to buy my new pc in July so i need to decide now and i'm getting a serious headache lol.