1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New preamp advice please.

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by Hemmick Reef, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Hemmick Reef

Hemmick Reef Guest

I have put together a basic recoring studio in a small room at home, it's not the best size or shape for a studio but......

Carillon computer running Cubase SX2
    Edirol DA2496 soundcard+breakout box
    Alesis M1Active mk2 speakers
    Tfpro p3 preamp (Ted Fletcher model -£150) ????
    Groove tube 67 microphone
    Various guitars & software + midi keyboard

I am not particulary happy with my basic sound that I get from D.I. guitar & bass and mic'd vocals.
    I have been pondering for ages about improvements/weak links to my sytem and if it's worthwhile changing anything. But I have come to the conclusion from reading posts & reviews that a better preamp is going to make the best improvement. The only thing is which one - I know that over a certain price I will not be able to tell the difference. I just wanted to get a few opinions before I buy, or not if thats the case - I don't want to waste money !
    My ideas for preamps that will hopefully tighten, add punch & warmth over my present setup are:

TLAudio Ivory series 5060, 5051
    Groove tubes the brick
    Voice master pro
    DBX 376

I like the SPL gainstation, but price, and will I get the best out of it ?
    I hope to add a bit of presence & warmth, and I'm not worried about added colouration as I think that it can enrich a sound.

Thanks very much
  2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    What's your budget.

I'm not crazy about the TLA or Voicemaster.

3. feggymango

feggymango Guest

I am not sure of the 376 but i have used a 386 for a while and i love it. For vocals and guitars/bass i use a Mindprit DTC for that warmth. It has a great EQ as well as a compressor/limiter.
    For my bass mostly, and on some vocals i often try my Studio Projects VTB1 and it sounds great. And it was only $100 canadian.
  4. AlteredBeats

AlteredBeats Guest

I have an 5051..........not really that pleased with it, I mean its ok but doesnt really have much effect on things
  5. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Hey AlteredBeats, is there any way I might talk you into using a smaller signature? :D There's nothing wrong with advertizing your site in your signature line, but everytime you post it's just like, well, as Mya would say, like WOAH :shock: . Also, think of the people on slow connections having to download this graphic... ouch.
  6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    I concure ... also it's a big load on the server which we have been running out of memeory on recently, ... so a huge graphic like that is a big load whne posted numerous times ... Thanks.
  7. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    same... This is an ongoing issue. Maybe killing the option of using images in our sigs is something we should look into.