1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio New Song Rock - Trickle Down mix/critique

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by packrobottom, Sep 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. packrobottom

packrobottom Active Member

2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Lots of clipping. A version without whatever is making it so hot would be easier to evaluate for mix issues.

3. packrobottom

4. bouldersound

Still clipping but not as much. Overall real good mix, but the snare seems to pop out in the HF compared to the rest of the tracks.

5. packrobottom

thx lowered snare considerably.

6. packrobottom

7. packrobottom

8. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Snare sounds "thinner" on the real drum track version, doesn't seem to have the same upper-mid "pop" that the sampled drums version does. Maybe add a little ( a db or so) off the cuff I'm guessing around 800 - 1k, and, I'd also consider adding a little ( try a db at a time) around the 225-250Hz region to add more "beef" to it. Right now it sounds kinda "papery" and lacking both the "weight" of the low mids as well as the upper-mid energy "drive" that I think it needs to support the overall energy of the song.

On the drums... are you using independent GR on a track-level basis, or on a 2-bus? If bused, what are the GR settings, and is it inserted pre or post EQ? And if independently, what settings are you using on the snare track ( attack, ratio, release)?
    I'm asking because the drums in general - but particularly with the back beat (snare) - seem to kind of get lost during the more powerful sections; when the guitars and synths come in, they seem to be forcing the drums back... most obviously the snare.

As a side note, and purely from a production POV, I'm not crazy about the extreme hard panning on the rhythm guitar, although I do like the modulation effect you're using on it later in the song. I just wish it was more centered - I'm not suggesting that it needs to be at 12 o'clock d├ętente, but having it panned as hard as it is now is kinda distracting - this is just my own opinion, of course... ask ten other guys and you're likely to get 9 other opinions that disagree with my own.

I can hear this as a quirky, fun, upbeat track in a movie.

9. packrobottom

Thx Donnie for the advice looking into the snare

10. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

You do realize that this was just my opinion, right? If you aren't hearing what I mentioned, or, if it doesn't bother you, then don't change anything.

Mixing is a very subjective thing; if we were to ask five other cats here, we might get input that is quite opposite to my own. I'm just mentioning to you what I hear, and what I might do if I were mixing.

That's hardly an opinion worth carving into stone. ;)

11. packrobottom

I know Donnie but you've been right in the past :)

12. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

New drums are way better (more natural) !

13. packrobottom

thx pc I agree

14. packrobottom

15. Chris Perra

Chris Perra Active Member

Isn't that a different song?

16. packrobottom

17. bouldersound

The clipping is less severe. New drums are better, I think. I've started to forget the old drums.

Something is odd and a little harsh in the vocal, especially around 6k-ish. Also, I would de-ess them.

There doesn't seem to be much in the top end besides vocal sibilance and cymbals. I'm not sure that needs to be changed but it's something I hear. At least it lets the vocal come through.