1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New to protools so i need a new DAW.

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by SPLstudio, Nov 14, 2005.

1. SPLstudio

SPLstudio Guest

i just had made the switch to the venerable Protools.
    but my computer is 4 years old an AMD with 1 gig ram 80gb HD.
    I've been watching the digidesign site about support and want to build my own daw.

so can you give me some advice please, about what processor to use amd or intel or anithing else?

thank you

2. Which interface and version of pro tools will you be using?

3. SPLstudio

SPLstudio Guest

Digi 002R with protools 6.9

4. iznogood

iznogood Member

make the switch... take a bite of the apple :D

5. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you want to do PT right, save yourself a ton of headaches and get a Mac.

6. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

I third the mac, bought one, easy as hell to figure out and none of the BS involved with pc's. Don't get me wrong still use my pc everyday but I usually have to deal with its crap at least once a week. With the mac I turn it on everyday, works the same, everyday.

7. poprocks

poprocks Guest

This is the kind of stuff that filled my head before I bought my G5. Overall, I love it and I'm not going back. However, I have had my share of crashing and abnormal behavior. Panther/Tiger issues are driving a lot Mac users crazy right now.

All computers are possessed!!!! Some just behave better than others.

8. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

No problems that couldn't be easily resolved with PT LE 6.9 and Panther on a dual 1.8 G5. I'll be going PT LE 7.x and Tiger soon, just waiting for the bugs to settle out and the plug-in companies to catch up.

9. poprocks

poprocks Guest

True, the problems that I encountered were not serious. However, I had to seek out a crash course in day-to-day mac maintenance, i.e. repairing permissions, trashing preferences, being super-careful about software and OS versions, etc.

After some time spent surfing various mac support forums I've got a handle on things and it's smooth sailing. But I don't think it's fair to say that macs are zero-maintenence machines.

10. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

If you leave them on they are nearly zero-maintainance, my machines do OS file cleanup at 3:00am every Sunday.

But it's still a good idea to repair permission after every new install, and periodically empty system caches.

8)

11. poprocks

poprocks Guest

I don't leave mine on all the time, so I use MacJanitor.

12. mr_sixty_six

mr_sixty_six Active Member

Sure Pro Tools is a pain to setup on a mac or a PC but one you get it running on a mac you never have to worry. I've had a DIGI 001 on my powermac Dual 867 since 2002 ( PT 5.1.1 to 6.4 ) and never a hiccup, reload, lost file, nothing let me see XP do that. Hell I get blue screen of death on the Sony VIAO I'm typing on right now just playing Sims 2 I wouldn't trust this thing to record an album especially for a client.

13. iznogood

iznogood Member

how is PT a pain to set up on a mac???

follow the instruction in the manual and voila!

14. mr_sixty_six

mr_sixty_six Active Member

I had some problems back in the day with OMS in OS 9.2.2 sorry I should have been more specific. Since then it's become considerably more easy to setup.

15. iznogood

iznogood Member

no doubt about that.....

yes 9.2.2 was "funnier" to set up... :-?