1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New to recording, need suggestions and help

Discussion in 'Recording' started by funkbomb, Apr 27, 2004.

1. funkbomb

funkbomb Guest

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this site and I'm already excited about all the help that's available to me.

I'm 16, I have a band, and I enjoy working with sound so much I believe I want to continue it later in life. Anyway, I have a recording I almost feel embarrassed to share, but I would like suggestions and helpful advice on how to make it better--lol, there is tons of room for improvement here. I just recently read 15 minutes ago that separating EQs is crucial to keeping it from being muddy.

http://sky.prohosting.com/funkbomb/music/mix.mp3

I just recently purchased an MXL V57M marshall condenser mike and obviously its a lot better than the SM57 I was using before, but I haven't had time to rerecord vocals. Also, how do you separate guitars and make them sound so good? I hate to sound so general and unspecific but I don't know any more details. The guitars in so many recordings I hear are so clean and i dont know where to begin to get it that nice sounding.

Also, I can only use my soundcard to input a max of 4 separate channels, plus 2 more thru a USB input device, so I dont have enough to record drums separately unless I record them later without the others, and that can be a bit difficult.

Anyway, I'd appreciate suggestions on how to improve--I'm just starting out here--heck, I can't even drive yet--so be nice. :) :wink:
    btw, I'm using Adobe Audition (aka Cool Edit Pro) on a PC.

Ben

2. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I wish I could have done such a clean recording when I was 16! Of course we were going straight to 2 track reel to reel back then with 2 room mics....

Keep going, you are doing great for starting out- you might try making sure the guitars are in tune though. It was noticeable in the opening.