1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

New tube for AKG Solid Tube

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Van_Hunter, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Van_Hunter

Van_Hunter Guest

We use an AKG Solid Tube in the studio as well as on stage and it just occured to me that I should perhaps have an extra tube just in case. My question is; does it matter what brand of tube I use? Can it make a diiference? Or should I just go to the music store and get any old 12AX7.
    Thanks in advance. Your expert advice is appreciated.

2. Tenson

Tenson Active Member

Home Page:
    Low level tubes like that rarely ware out. It would probably only break if it is physicaly damaged.

If the 12AX7 is what it uses, I'd try to get a good quality one such as Mullard. Maybe you could even try a few and start 'tube rolling' when you want a slighly differant sound!

3. Van_Hunter

Van_Hunter Guest

Thanks Tenson. Becaue we use it live I was kind of thinking if it got bumped when it was hot it might fail and then we'd have to go to a backup mic. I'd rather have the tube standing by.
    You say get a good quality tube like a Mullard and try rotating tubes. That sounds interesting. I just might learn something by doing that.