1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

newbie mbox question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by logamos2001, Apr 10, 2005.

1. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest

allright. im jusrt kinda confused on the mbox to what is the input playback knob. i mean, i can work with it to get the volume i need, but im not sure to WHAt it is actually doing.. ya dumb i know. help?
  2. BenLindell

BenLindell Guest

that knob mixes between what is being played back by the software and what is coming in through the inputs, this allows zero-lantency monitoring of your input.
  3. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest

im not sure what zero lantency monitoring is eactly. i no it has to do with the the real time monitoring and how its slow or something. then how does one control the volume if u arent using headphones?
  4. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest

so um ya..
  5. jbeutt

jbeutt Active Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Home Page:
    latency is the actual time it takes the computer to process a signal and send it back out. It's basically the lag time.
  6. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest

so where do i deal with the volume of my monitors? besides the inconvienient knobs on the back of each
  7. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Right now the only way to adjust monitoring volume is the master fader in protools. I'm looking at getting a "Big Knob" from mackie for this exact issue.
  8. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest

wow, thats kind of annoying
  9. ghellquist

ghellquist Guest

If you know how to use a soldering iron, it is very simple to make you own "Big Knob". If you stay with unbalanced cables (and speakers) it is very easy to find the component. And for most usage, unbalanced is generally quite sufficient on line level. Mind you, not everywhere, but most often.

The component you need is a potentiometer. It should be the logarithmic variety (there is a linear as well, not quite suited but nothing will break). And a value somewhere between 10k and 100k.

Connect hot-in to top of pot, ground to bottom. Fetch signal hot-out from viper and ground. Add a shielded box, some contacts and a large knob.

10. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Yeah, I'd looked into doing that, and was going to until the Big Knob came out. I'm going to grab that for it's other features too, most importantly (for me) the talkback and the monitor switching (I've got a set of Boston Acoustics bookshelfs that I use as another reference to check mixes)

Would you need to do one pot for each side with that?