1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

newbie question about mic connections

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by griffiti, Sep 2, 2004.

1. griffiti

griffiti Guest

I am new to this forum. I've been reading it for a couple of weeks now. I apologize for asking this question if it has already been addressed. My search was unsuccessfull.

I am looking at buying the MOTU 828mkII audio interface. In addition to the 2 XLR mic/line inputs in front, it offers 8 1/4" inputs in back. Ok, now the question...

If I want to hook up more than 2 mics at once, would I just need to get some XLR to 1/4" couplers ?

I know this is a simple/stupid question but I'm a beginner. Thanks! :oops:

2. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the MOTU stuff, but the upshot is you want to use a low impedance input for a mic, otherwise you won't have enough gain to work with. 1/4" inputs are generally high Z. You'd be best off buying a fourway or larger mic preamp and feeding the outputs of that into your available 1/4" inputs, assuming they can be set to line level.

3. David French

David French Well-Known Member

You can record a microphone's output through the back, but you will need some kind of preamp. The level of signal coming out of the mic is very low and the 1/4 inputs on the back expect a much louder signal such as what would come from a keyboard or CD player. The two XLR inputs on the front have preamps built in that give the mic's signal gain before it is recorded. You should look into buying a multichannel preamp. Most of these have 1/4" outputs, so you could plug your mics into the preamps, then plug the preamp outputs into the 1/4" inputs on the 828. As for which multichannel preamp to buy, you will find lots of opinions by using the search feature. I haven't heard this pre, but you might want to look into the Studio Projects SP828. It would be a good match for the MOTU, in I/O and in name ;)

4. griffiti

griffiti Guest

thanks

Thanks so much for the fast response and helpfull info.

I checked out the SP828 web site. Looks nice and ZZounds has it for only $599.

Could another alternative be to use a small mixer board with Lo-Z XLR (w/ phantom power) inputs that have 1/4" (line level) outputs?

5. David French

Yes, that would work also, but most of the small format mixers have pretty crappy pres. Also, the SP828 basically is a mixer, although it is not a flexible routing wise as a small format mixer would be.

6. griffiti

griffiti Guest

Good point. And it's rack-mounted so it takes up less space too.

I picked up a book called, "Practical Recording Techniques" by Bartlett. It has explained alot. I guess I just missed where it explained the difference or what it means - balanced and unbalanced.

Could you explain the difference between balanced / unbalanced?

7. David French

Hey, grifitti, reread that last post of mine. I think I made an edit while you were typing - this is almost like real-time chat!

8. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Balanced has three conductors, two for signal and one is a shielded ground. It has a couple of advantages. It will reject noise from power cords to nearby gear and also from RF sources. A long unbalanced mic cable will cost you high frequency content also, because it's a crude capacitor, whereas a balanced line will not lose high frequencies over a long run.

9. griffiti

griffiti Guest

Thanks jonyoung.

Hey David, I also found a mic preamp by PreSonus...the DigiMAX LT. It looks pretty cool. I can pipe the output to my MOTU 828 via ADAT lightpipe, leaving my existing 8 1/4" MOTU inputs free for other stuff.

http://www.presonus.com/digimax_lt.html

Anyone have any experience with either the SP828 or the DigiMAX LT ?