1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Newbie Questions here...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by hondacrxdude13, Sep 3, 2009.

1. I'm brand new to recording. I'm looking for an 8 channel audio interface that will give me the ability to expand later on via ADAT. I saw on the Soundcard Wizard on Recording Review that the Presonus Firestudio and M-Audio Profile 2626 should meet my needs.

Which do you guys think will be more reliable?

2. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Distinguished Member

Feb 21, 2009
    That depends on what software you are going to be using. If you are using Pro Tools M-Powered then you'll need the M-Audio piece. If you will be using any other software... go with the PreSonus piece.
  3. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Home Page:
    Those are both fine interfaces. There are others as well. Like RME, for example, a popular brand here.
    This is a topic that gets a lot of discussion on these forums - do a search and you'll get plenty of hits on more in-depth conversations.

Like GF said, my understanding is that the biggest difference between the two you mentioned is that the M-Audio unit pretty much locks you into ProTools, while the Firestudio will work with a variety of DAWs.
  4. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Distinguished Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Hmm, is that true? I thought that PT M-powered locks you into the unit, but is it a two way lock in? That would mean that the M-Audio units cannot be used with any other software other than PT M-Powered? I honestly don't know, but if it's true then I did not know that.
  5. FlyBass

FlyBass Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Central Indiana, USA
    M-Audio or Digi hardware interfaces can be used with different software other than ProTools. However, you cannot use ProTools with any other interface.
  6. jamiesound

jamiesound Guest

I use a Firepod, never had any problems with it. Nice bit of gear if you can't afford the higher end stuff like myself!
  7. I use the Presonus FP10 with Sonar 7 and Love it. I've never had any problems what so ever. Seems to be good gear, espesially for the price.