1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Newbie recorder question

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by oshcas, Nov 11, 2004.

1. oshcas

oshcas Guest

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a while now, but this is my first post. I have a question that you might be able to help me with:

If I am recording (just tracking - no mixing, and only 2 - 6 tracks at a time) acoustic instruments and vocals with some decent microphones (eg Studio Projects C3) and a decent preamp/eq/compressor (eg Langevin DVC), do you think I would notice the difference between recording to the following machines?

Yamaha AW16G
    Tascam MX2424
    PC with Digi 002 Rack & Protools

If you think there would be a noticeable difference, in what way?

Thanks for your help.

2. inLoco

inLoco Active Member

Jul 25, 2004
    of course the even if you don't use the yamaha's, tascam's and digi's pres you'll have the conversion... so you'll still be able to notice some changes...
  3. heyman

heyman Guest

I think any one of those would do a decent job at recording- nothing special . You can alwys take you stuff to a big studio to mix down !
  4. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    There won't be a big difference between the 3. The fastest way to get a better quality sound is to use a high end a/d d/a converter. This will let you bypass the on-board converters.

A really good converter will follow you from format to format and will give you a "known" quality each time. Also look into getting a good word clock, they can make all the difference in the world.

Hope this helps,