1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

newbie with 1000€

Discussion in 'Recording' started by D-one84, Mar 27, 2007.

1. D-one84

D-one84 Guest

Im a newbie in the recording process, ill be needing to record vocals only, and this is what im thinkin about buying for my home studio.

SoundCard: EMU 0404 (200 €)
    Condenser: akg 3000B (250 €)
    Studio monitors: Samson rubicon R5A (300 €)
    Pre-amp: ART DPS II (330 €)

Can someone give me a opinion on this hardware list?
  2. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

Feb 26, 2005
    North Carolina, USA
    I'm a low-budget guy myself, and that looks ok. Personal preference and experience involved, I would suggest looking at the M-audio Audiophile 2496 since you only need the vocals in. Only goes for $100 US. The Rubicon monitors get good talk for the price, so I'd go with those. For a preamp, look at the M-audio DMP3 for $160 US...very clean and clear. If you save some money on the card and preamp, you can put it into a better mic...I like the Audio Technica stuff. Even the AT2020 is nice, for only $100 US. If you could put more money in, maybe the AT4040 or 4050, or go with a dynamic like the Sennheiser MD421, which goes for $350 US (might be your best bet actually). I don't know how the dollars translate to euros, but I think if you're just doing vocals, save some money on the card and pre, and put it into a nicer mic. I've not heard very good things about the lower end AKG stuff. Hope I was helpful and not just confusing! ANDY

OK! I checked the conversion rate, and you 1000 euros looks like $1335 US. You should be fine, dude! A
  3. Groff

Groff Active Member

Jul 18, 2004
    For a little more, I would choose:

Adam A7
    Rode NT2A
    Echo Audiofire 2
    SPL Track One

You can buy mic and monitors new and the rest at eBay for cheaper.

4. llatht

llatht Active Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Adrian, MI
    I have an AKG C3000b and although I won't say that it sucks, I will say that it's a VERY bright mic. If I could do it all over again I would go with something else.
  5. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    I had a C3000B that I won in a poker game. I got screwed. It IS a bright mic, and while it isn't the worst choice, any and all A-T and Rode models in that price range will perform noticeably better.
    BTW, I ended up swapping the 3000 for a pair of 57's. GLADLY.